Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning fireplace bricks and mortor (200k+ of images)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 13, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anybody have fireplace here? I have an 80 year old brick fireplace that we use pretty regularly. I cleaned it today and decided I want to scrub the soot and creosote off the bricks...

I used a little vinegar and water, which seemed to do a decent job at first, but I figure it's doing as well as just water would. I have 3 marble plates (for lack of a better word) that cover most of the fireplace floor, and they almost looked stained black, but I don't think that's the cae, and I almost think I'm kind of polishing that color in with the vinegar.
    The bricks just looked rinsed, not cleaned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any chemicals or techniques y'all recommend? I'd like to clean the facing bricks, too, but I'm not that worried about them, they're not that bad.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

try scubing it with alcohol(not the drinkn kind) or maybe bleach but I dont know if that will discolor the bricks.

Nick

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Muriatic acid is usually pretty good on cement and stuff.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Mine isn't as old as yours (just 50+ years) and I used Quick n Brite. Just applied it in a watery thick (paste) coat and scrubbed it really well with a stiff nylon brush. I was kind shocked it worked. That stuff fully rocks. I never thought I would think an infomercial product would be worth a poo, but this stuff is great.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll second the muriatic acid, not full strength though. Mix it about 1:10 with water and use a good brush...then use a second brush with plain water to rinse it down.

My Father was a bricklayer...I grew up cleaning facing brick among other things and all we ever used was muriatic acid. Best to have some clean water and rags handy in case you splash any on yerself too. Definitey wear good eye protection too.

Rene