Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning Injectors - 87 TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

How do you clean the injectors on the TBI setups. I went to a quicky lube place and they use the bottle in the tank method (suppposed to be better than the normal tank cleaners). He said they dont do the rattle can into the fuel lines anymore.
    SO, how do you clean them and how can you calabrate them by lbs?
    Should I just buy new (turbocity has the new ones for $70each and a $110 core!) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I am thinking about getting the injector spacer though.

WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Interestingly enough, I read in the latest edition of "Corvette Fever" about GM injectors of the 80's and 90's (this was all dealing with TPI) and they were pretty clear in stating that the injector cleaner stuff can be BAD for some injectors.

Reasoning is that some injectors use the fuel to cool the injector (coils I think was what it cooled) and the cleaners could do something to the coils.

At worst, I'd say use a GM approved injector cleaner, at best, have them "sonic" cleaned, there are a few places that will do them that you can find on the web, a test of them is usually also included in the cost. Something like $25/injector.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Cruzin Perf can do them, but they are busy right now and they need to set up something differnetly to do TBI injectors...i need to get mine done too. Maybe if everyone with TBI injectors on here that needs them cleaned got them done at once it owud be worth it...

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

cool site, I'm guessing the same process is true but different connections for the injectors. There is a performance shop about 30min away from me I might swing by there and look into what they do.

5. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Wow, that' cool AND CHEAP.
    Considering new flow-matched ones are $60 and up that sounds like a deal (but I can't afford to not be able to drive my truck for a week).