Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning K&N Air filter....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

finally figured out why my motor is running like [I love Jeeps]. I drove it around with the air filter off and it ran good, With the air filter it runs shitty....

anyway, i tried cleanining cleaning the air filter about a month ago, and obviously i didnt do it right....

i soaked it in warm water and soap then let it dry...

What are you guys doing to clean your K&N's? thx.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Did you use the special cleaner for it?

What I do is this......

I spray it down real good with the cleaner first. I usually use the whole bottle. Let it set for a couple of minutes, they I rinse it with the garden hose, running the water from the inside out of the filter.

Hang to dry, usually for a day, then re-oil it and slap it in.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dont let it soak with soap in it...use the cleaner, or regular 409...let it soak for a minute or so...hose it off, repeat...hosing from the inside out..let it air dry, or blow it dry with an airhose and chuck or blowdryer set on cold...then reoil and install..

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    blow it dry with an airhose and chuck

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do NOT do this unless you want to buy a new air filter (or a new engine if you discover too late that you blew holes through the filter media).

The K&N filter cleaning and re-oiling kit specifically tells you not to use compressed air. Apply their spray cleaner, wait a while (I can't recall offhand if they tell ya 5 or 10 minutes), then rinse from the inside out with a garden hose. Don't use a spray nozzle on the hose, or once again you risk damaging the filter. You'll be amazed at how much junk will wash out of the filter! Next, shake the excess water out of the filter and then let if dry. Then spray fresh filter oil onto the filter, one pleat at a time. I find it easiest to start at the crimp where the 2 ends of the filter are put together. Then you know for sure when you've been all the way around. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh yeah, I can clean 3 or 4 K&N's with one of their kits before it's all used up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, I use their filter sealing grease on the sealing surfaces of the filter, just to help make sure that none of the extra-fine Colorado dust sneaks around the filter and chews up the rings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Silver84k5

right on thx for the responses. when i "attempted" to clean it last time i didnt put any oil on it. So the Cleaning is basically a necessity?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes. The oil is part of the filter. If you are operating in a real dusty environment, then it helps to add more oil.

7. Silver84k5

shoot, hopefully the Damage isnt already done, I was in the sand recently as well.. lol.

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i use the K&N cleaning kit. I just soak the filter down perty good whith the cleaner, then let it sit for 1-2 min. Then i use warm watter from a tap to rinse it (inside out) and just keep running the watter throught it untill the water coming out is clean. Then i take and tamp in dry whith papaer towels. Then i spray the oil untill the filter is barely red and let is set for 5min and reinstall.