Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cleaning lenses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by browningejm, Jul 29, 2005.

1. browningejm

browningejm Registered Member

my blinker lenses are looking a bit dull. what is the best way to polish them?TIA,ERIK

2. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I was at Pep-Boys (auto parts place..don't know if there are any in NY) a few years ago and found some metal polish that goes by the name of "Blue Magic Metal Polish Creme" that worked really well for cleaning plastic lenses on cars.
    My friend tried it on his old Acura Integra that had some really foggy/yellowed headlight lenses. It took two or three applications of the stuff, but when we were done the lenses looked almost brand new.
    Over the years I have used this stuff on a lot of plastic/polycarbonate/plexiglass surfaces and it works really well for restoring the surface.

I was a little skeptical about using metal polish on plastic, but IIRC, it says on the little canister that it's safe for plastic. If you don't have a Pep-Boys, I'm sure just about any chain store like Autozone or Checker/Schuks/Kragen/Advance Auto/Discount Auto (all 5 have the same parent company) should carry it.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

They also make dedicated plastic polish, available at your local paint/body supply store. Usually it's best to use a two stage approach. First a cleaner and then a polish.

Works great on badly scratched CD cases too.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had great success with white polishing compound for cleaning up blemishes on auto paint. Made my dull, yellowed plastic headlight lenses look like new again.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Mcguire's windshield polish/restorer for motorcycles....stuff is the sh!t and really works :thumb:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll have to get some...

My Ferd Contour has those plastic headlight lenses,and one is pretty yellowed..other side must have been replaced at one time,its much clearer than the other one is..

A friend had some stuff he let me use called "Semi-Chrome" polish....he said the volunteer fireman that works the parts counter with him where he works told him about that stuff--he uses it on all the "beacons" lenses on the fire trucks and his own vehicles..says its the best he's tried so far..

It did make the lens a bit clearer,but I wished it had worked even better--maybe its yellowed on the inside too,and I'll end up relacing the headlight bucket(last resort)...I'll try some of the other products listed first..its hard to see at night on low beams in the Ferd..I leave the hi beams on a lot,and hardly anyone flashes their lights back at me,so I guess they are a bit dim due to the lenses being cloudy and yellowed..but I dont want a cop to pull me over for blinding him with my high beams,so I should do something about it.. :doah: