Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning mud from brakes.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Jan 27, 2003.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

What's the best way to clean out the brakes after going mudding? What should I do to get all the sand out of the rear drums? Pull the drums and use compressed air to get all the sand out and then use brake cleaner? Would the same method work well for discs, if it works at all? Now I know why rear discs are so popular. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I used a hose,
    fullfloaters are a XXX to clean drum brakes as you would have to expose the bearings to the contaminants.
    I was contemplating cutting access holes in the backing plates but as you stated rear discs is the answer
    and they are cheaper then replacing the drums after they are siezed

3. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

hose them out real good,and watch out using compressed air when cleaning drums out dont breathe the dust /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I usally just pressure wash the mud out at the local wash house. just stay on the brakes till no more muddy water comes out for each wheel then agin when i get home with reg. hose low pressure so you can really tell what color the water is. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net