Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning off mud

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 17, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well I knew this would not be fun, but I started on it today and this seems impossible. Is there a good way to do this. Should I just let it dry and fall off? Or should I just get down there with a hose and a scraper and work forever on it? It's never been this bad before. I'm done with mud too...

90K5

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I go to one of those quarter pay do-it-yourself car wash deals and just use the high pressure water sprayer. it works pretty good and you don't have to clean the driveway when your done [​IMG]

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah do the carwash thing, its just as bad to get it off of your driveway. I still have dirt on my driveway from May (last time mud'n, FOREVER).

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just usually wait till it dries then knock off the big chunks and wash it at the car wash. Just got back from trying out my new BFG Muds, and they kick ass. What's wrong with mud? I love it! It only takes 30 minutes to get it all off anyway. Plus, if I said my mud days were over[​IMG], then my four wheelin days are over[​IMG](nothing but mud in Central Texas!), then that means my K5 days are over[​IMG]

EDITED: Also try putting rain-x on all the windows so the mud will come off easier.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You people need to stop whining about mud! [​IMG] I'm in the same position as BlazerGuy, if it werent for wet dirt, my truck would never leave the pavement. I got a high-presure powerwasher from Sears and it works great. I also sandblasted and painted as much of the underside of my truck as I could without lifting the tub off, this also helps greatly. The powerwasher I have has a hose that you can put into a bucket of cleaner, and it'll add it to the spray. I use a mixture of Simple Green and degreaser when I powerwash my truck (dont do that on the body) and it helps loosen the dirt, plus it gives my truck a minty fresh smell [​IMG] !!!!!</font color=blue>

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>My buddies and I used to do the car wash thing until the owner told us no more. He got sick of cleaning out his grates and such. I don't really blame him cause we damn near filled em up at times. He told us not do wash there again. We told him we eached spent about 10 bucks a peice each time we went there but he still said no.....oh well. Another tip for you is to put a medium coat of wax on before you go mudding that way most of the mud will come off of the waxy layer instead of it sticking dirrectly on the paint.......it works pretty slick. It's kind of like wetting your hair completely with clean water before getting into a pool, that way not as much chlorine will soak into your hair which isn't good for it. Your hair will only hold so much liquid.......anyway, This will allow only so much mud to actually stick to surfaces that are a pain in the @$$ to clean. O.k. o.k., I know .... enough Mr. Wizard......well, you get the idea. Try it, it works. One more tip, shake salt onto your bar napkin before your favorite mixed drink or beer gets placed on it and it won't stick to the bottom of the glass or bottle.....salt is water solluable so it keeps the glass free from sticking. Just do it and watch the people ask what you did it for....then come off as a real geek and tell them why.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: You guys wash your trucks?

Hell with that! I only wash the parts that are broke :) Desert Tan flat paint hides the mud really good! My truck got washed once on the outside this year. I was being nice to the Muffler guy that was cutting me a deal so $5 later at the cars wash. I hosed the inside out 2 times this year, when I took the roof off in the spring and just before I put the top on :)

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Re: You guys wash your trucks?

Here is the best way to wash it. I got it down to a science. Before I had my blazer I would go mudding in my Moms 4x4 suburban and I would clean it before i came home. HAHAHA. She never found out untill the rearend decided to kick the can. Ooops!

Alright, take it to a spray and wash and clean the paint... Then put your truck in some grass and set up a sprinkler underneith for a little bit. That gets rid of 99 percent of the mud.

Sparky

78 K-5

9. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I use the mud to fill in the low spots in my yard. With ten acres, theres a lot of yard. I had a 68 Bronco many years ago and the owner of the carwash gave me $10 to go to another carwash. I undercoated the entire underside and when I hit it with the pressure washer it blast it right off. Best in my opinion to do it while its still wet, but thats with this Ok red clay.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Oklahoma red clay has got to be the worst. It actually works as a second coat of paint, and its oily as heck.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

before you go out spray the inner fenders and the lower 1/4 of your rig with Pam, or naother non stick cooking oil, when you leave the trail hit the underside with a shot of water adn watch everything fal off.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Wait a minute....washing....nope, don't quite know what that is. Actually, I rustoleum'd the bottom of my Blaze and now after a good mud trek I can just spray a jet of water on the underside and it shines like new. Can't say the same for the rest of the truck.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

13. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey Blaze, do you remember how many cans it took you, roughly?
    Thanks.

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

14. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Damn! I like that sprinkler idea! When I used to live in the midwest and mudding was a logistic possibility (I live in Arizona now), I'd go muddin' all weekend, let the truck dry for a few days and drive over about 15 rows of parking blocks at the local supermarket on the way to a latenight session at the coin-carwash [​IMG]. LOL!!! Those carwash owners/workers just love seeing a stall that looks like a 300lb mud bomb went off in there, don't they [​IMG]. The trail of dirt clumps in the supermarket parking lot was a classic. Wish I'd have gotten a picture.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

15. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

My buddy works at a gas station. My rig was real muddy one night, and i drove in and used the hose in the bay. the ground had a 20ft mudtrail on it from the muddy water. I bet the boss was pissed in the morning.

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, this is my trade secret... I usually plan a wash of the truck ahead of time when I have lots of time and nothing to do like a Saturday afternoon. I park the truck out in the back behind my fence, grab my lawnchair, a 6 pack of my favorite brews, and the garden hose then I kick back in the lawn chair, and just spray and respray the truck. Go once around (moving the chair when needed) then go back and start over. About the third time around (the 4th beer) the mud really starts dropping off. The truck is high enough that from the level of the chair, I can spray almost the whole underside. Then that evening I can run it to the local car wash, and pressure wash the paint and engine, the owner doesnt get mad at me, and the truck comes out spotless! Just in time for our Sunday wheeling trip the next day.... hmmm then the truck gets dirty again... hmmm then I have to wash it again next Sat. ... hmmm

Lots of guys think its a trailer queen if they see it clean all the time, and they grumble that what good is it if it never gets used. I always leave the mud on it for a few days after the trip just to dispel anyones doubts about the uses of my Jimmy. Besides, nothing beats mud!

[​IMG]
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did the Car wash thing a couple of times, the guy here doesn't seem to mind too much, yet![​IMG] I haevn't been mudding in quite a while, but the last time I pressure washed it I got smart and wore my wraparound safety glasses from work. With those on I could get a lot closer to the 'action' underneath and not have to worry about getting the dirt and mud in my eyes. I still got real dirty, but I got at least 95% off of the under side. [​IMG] Too bad I didn't think to clean out my rear brakes, the silty mud I had in there ate them up in a few short months and took the seals and wheel cylinders out too.[​IMG]
    I've said no more mud, but I think I'm starting to waver a little. It sure is fun![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

18. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

One other tip i've heard about from some off road truck racers is to spray the underside of the truck with wd-40. they get it by the gallon and spray the hell out of the undersid. They claim most mud and dirt just falls off and the rest does not take much h20.

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

19. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

If you let the mud dry DO NOT DO ANY KIND OF SCRAPING RUBBING OR SWIRLING on the paint if you have a nice paint job. If so it wil leave marks in the paint. Make sure no writes stuff in the dirt on the paint OR glass( still have "chris your a pig!" on my rear window!) soak it real good get it wet again and then high pressure wash it.

just a few pointers i learned the hard way.

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

20. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I tried some Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax today and it doesn't seem to have helped. My paint job is a #$%^&*( piece of
    $%^& anyway, so i don't care anymore(see other post)

90K5