Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning rust question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Jan 17, 2005.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I just got a steering box to throw on the blazer, and its pretty rusty. I was going to throw it in the solvent tank, but do you think that will mess up the inside of the box, and will it help get the rust off? What are some other ideas on cleaning the rust off? Thanks for the help.
    Cory

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'd use a drill or 4.5" angle grinder and a wire wheel...

3. k5 krawler 50

Thanks for the quick reply,I was thinking about using the wire wheel, i was just looking for some other options as for cleaning it by a liquid, and if solvent was going to mess up the box in any way. Any more ideas would help, thanks.
    cory

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i'm not familiar with the innards of a steering box, but if there are any rubber seals, the solvent could eat those. my .02 if you happened to overlook that.

5. k5 krawler 50

thats a good point really didnt think of that. Has any body ever cleaned their steering box with solvent, or cleaned any thing that carries fluid? thanks
    cory

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Squirting it with some would probably be fine.. But I would'nt submerse it in solvent.. :)

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldnt submerge it either...

I think it would ruin the seals in the box if you dunk it in a cleaning tank--some of that cleaning stuff is pretty caustic...you could tape up the shafts and smear some grease around them,and have it sandblasted at a machine shop,as long as they are careful not to direct the sand at the critical areas of the pitman arm and steering colum shaft,and you clean it off carefully with brake cleaner and compressed air,you should have no trouble--I've done several of them,and nothing beats a sandblaster for getting all the rust out,even in pitted areas--leaves it ready for a nice paint job--just use care when blasting it....:crazy:

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we used to do the same in our blast cabinet... duct tape works well for sealing off areas...