Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning SM465/NP205 and differentials

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Sep 22, 2004.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I recently bought a 3/4 ton parts truck for a song. I got the D44 front, 14bff rear with gov loc, sm465, and np205 transfer case. This stuff will be behind a 350hp 350sbc motor. It will be a while before I can actually install any of this stuff so I have all winter to tinker with it. I want to start with the tranny and transfer case cleaning the grease and rust off the outside and painting it. I was also planning on draining the fluid and replacing it. I got to thinking that it may be pretty cruddy in there. What is the recommended procedure for cleaning the inside of a manual tranny, transfer case, and diferentials? I was gonna use engine cleaner for the grease and a wire wheel for the rust on the outside.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if the tranny/xcase were sealed they should be clean, don't mess with them unless you are going to rebuild them.

pouring diesel or other solvents inside only ruins the bearings and seals.

just scrape off as much mud/crud as possible and steam clean the rest. very hot water with tide cleaner works for me. make sure you seal all enteries/exits. vent tube, slip yoke, busted seals, etc.

ARQ.