Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cleaning solovent

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 24, 2002.

what is a good cleaning solovent to use for cleaning up grimy parts. i always used gasoline but is there anything over the counter that is good to use?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I use brake parts cleaner. I suppose you could buy that gallon of cleaner in a paint can for $10-$12 from the parts store for really stuborn stuff. That can comes with a basket for doing small carburator parts too. How about paint stripper?

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I use mineral spirits at home.
    Not quite as deadly as gas.
    And ya can get it anywhere. I dump the nasty gunk with used oil to get rid of it.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Varsol - available where I live at one truck stop. They sell it out of a pump like gas. You might be able to get it at a farm supply, feed store, etc. Used in aviation and ag for years to clean grimy parts.

P. eople for
    E. ating
    T. asty
    A. nimals
    85 K10, 305 700R4 33's 3.08's (14bff & D44 in the garage now ;-)

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The 10 gallons or so of Diesel that was in the diesel tank of my now gas burning K30. [​IMG] I couldn't find any way to get rid of it so I put it in a couple of big chlorine tablet buckets (with wheels). One I throw really nasty junk yard parts in (hanging from wires) and the other I try to keep relatively clean (for parts I don't want in the gunk).

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Blue,

I used a couple of spray cans of Brake Cleaner on my 14BFF to clean it up before painting.....and a few toothbrushes to get in the crevices too!!! It looks spotless now! [​IMG]

It's stinky and messy work, and the cleanup rags are probably explosive.....so keep things well-ventilated. I usually put all the rags in a bucket outside for a while to let the fumes evaporate, before throwing them in the trash....

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've used kerosene with success. Much safer than gasoline since it's flash point is higher.
    Brake cleaner is good too. But there's lots of fumes, and the fast evaporation rate can cool small parts enough to cause condensation to form on them (not good if it's bare steel or iron--flash rust can form in under 5 minutes).
    I've had good luck with Castrol Super Clean. You just need to do some scrubbing with it, and it's a water rinse, so if your part is bare metal it needs some WD-40 or something similar FAST.
    Varsol is about the best, if you can get your hands on it.

Ken

January 28, 2002--The NEW Adventure Begins...

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i read in the new issue of 4wheeler to use OVEN CLEANER, because that cleans baked on grease of an oven, why not use it for baked on grease on parts?
    ive never done it tho

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I started using EZ-OFF OVEN CLEANER a few months ago and it's great stuff. Nasty as h*** s don't get it on your hands - burns like crazy. I sprayed it all over my front axle because it was entirely coated with thick dirt/oil junk. Wrks like a charm.
    Word of caution - it takes paint off just as well as it does oil. Don't get too carried away cleaning your engine in the engine bay or it will strip the paint off everything, ther block, ther firewall, the fenders, etc.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>