Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cleaning the interior and making primer look pimp

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Jan 24, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok for those of us who still have interiors, and nice ones if i do say so myself! what do yall use for cleanin the interior? the vynil and upholstry. and how do you clean the stock t-case shifter boot? that thing is annoying! ah and how do i make my primer smoother looking? it still looks like it was done with shaker cans (wich it was) you can see lines in it and dark and light spots, how do i fix that?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Rub the primer with deisel fuel or baby oil, it will give it a good semi-gloss sheen. You could also just rub it down with steel wool to give it an even appearance. </font color>

3. muddysub

are you serious about the baby oil? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

steel wool huh? cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Real fine steel wool should work pretty well to smooth it out. As for the baby oil, that came from a post on here awhile back. I said that I had heard that rubbing primer with diesel helps protect it a bit and also gives it a bit of a sheen, and someone else replied and said that they had rubbed primered trucks with baby oil and it does the same thing. They said that there was a problem of some sort with the diesel thing... I dunno, neither one should hurt it, try them both out and see what happens! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I use Armor-all on the shifter boot (just apply with a rag), steering wheel, dashpad, door panels/pouches, steering column, and console. Good looks/protection. The seats...well, I haven't cleaned them with anything...still look good/clean. But, I use Tuff-stuff on the carpet. It's really good.
    As for the primer, I don't have enough of that on my truck to give you tips..........yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ah and how do i make my primer smoother looking

[/ QUOTE ]

Cover it with paint. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Or if your cheap which sounds like the case /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif wet sand it with some fine sand paper.

7. muddysub

i like my primer grey, it's cool lookin.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

On your Vinyl, use Leather Cream for seats. It doesn't dry it out like normal Armor All, mainly this applies in the hot West and South (I.E. Vegas) The boot, any normal cleaner will work. For stains, you could use Resolve, the stuff for house carpet stains. Those cans of stuff for car interiors do NOTHING! I used to work at a car wash, so I fortunately have 3 - 5 gallon jugs of professional carpet cleaner...stuff kicks ass!!

9. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    how do i make my primer smoother looking

[/ QUOTE ] Go to the grocery store and buy a pack of 3M green scrub pads. Rub a couple of them together (to make them finer), drag out your garden hose and start rubbing. I do this between coats of high fill primer whan I paint cars and I always end up with a semi-smooth uniform finish. (No, I do not wet sand with green scrubbie pads. Just between primer coats.)

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

For vinyl and rubber, I've tried and like the Griot's Vinyl &amp; Rubber dressing (which I suspect is simply a repackaged version of "303 Protectant")

It's got a nice satin finish, not overly shiny like Armor-All and does not contain silicones (like Armor-All) which actually dry out rubber and plastic parts.

Can't say that I've ever done much "detailing" on my K5, but it seems to hold up well on other vehicles and also seems to repel dust (to a certain extent) too...!!!

Oh yes, one more thing......never apply this kind of stuff to your steering wheel and pedals!!! Makes for a scary drive!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I have used Simple Green on everything with good results. Anything rubber, vinyl, tires &amp; wheels, and carpet. Has a strong odor when used in the cab, but will get the greasey foot prints out of the carpet.