Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cleaning up after Bogging my Jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bad2, Apr 2, 2000.

1. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

On Saturday night I went with a few frends to the mud boggs and somehow got talked into puting my Jimmy into the slop. Everyone was telling me what to do because I had never done this before (I normaly ride on dunes and trails) telling me I wouldn't make it very far with a truck thad has no motor mods or lift. Well I got called, lined up and just pointed it at the end of the pit and floored it, I got to the end just to get stuck, but I had fun (and only 1 truck made it out while I was there). Now this morning I got up planing on cleaning all the mud off not realizing how much I had brought home with me. Well this "tiny" task, turned into a job that took all day and I'm still not done!
    Is there an "EASY" way to get the mud off?
    Curtis

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Take it to one of those free Boy Scout car washes..make a 5$ donation...and sit back. But seriously..I heard that if you take one of those lawn sprinklers that go forward and backward and set it under your ride it softens evrything up and it falls right off..I dont know how fast it is but you can just set it and take a nap or somthing...

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Registered Member

Pay some kid down the street 20 bucks to do it. Kids will do anything for 20 bucks.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

don't go in the mud ! Just kiddin'...... I've heard guys put a coat of wax on before they hit the pit that way the gunky stuff is supposed to come off easier due do the layer of wax between it and the painted body. I can't say for sure if that works because I've never tried it .... I always do it by hand on a nice sunny weekend.

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Next time you want to go mudding try this. Before going out spray the underside of your rig with A 50/50 mixture of diesel fuel and used oil. I used to use one of those 2 gallon hand held yard sprayers. This makes clean-up soooo much easier.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I heard that the non-stick cooking stuff like Pam does a good job of letting the mud slide off. For your wheel wells and stuff.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

All these are great ideas..........here's another one guaranteed to be easier..........clean it BEFORE it hardens! Sometimes not easy to find the time, but worth it if you can do it........even at the expense of lack of sleep.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

All very good ideas. The easiest cleanup I ever had was after wheeling in SE KS. It was raining at the time and rained about all night. The next day I had to drive about 3hrs back home, all through the rain. Got home and it dried out the next day. There wasn't hardly any mud left anywhere. So sweeeet.

the Goose

9. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Its an investment, but I bought a pressure washer. I figure it saves me alot of $ and its handy as hell.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

After doing a real Mud Bog, I would probably pull the rear tires and drums to clean out the mud in your brakes. It probably found its way in there too. Use any of these other great ideas to pre treat your Blazer before Muddin. I also heard easy off oven cleaner works great to clean the motor.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

11. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

yeah, one of those "bananna" sprinklers....the kind that go in a semi circle. PLant one of those under your truck when you get home and leave it on while you sleep or a few hours then take the garden hose and you should be able to spray just about everything off....well not everything. cleaning your truck after goin' in the mud sucks. I cleaned mine 2 weekends ago.....washed all the big stuff off at home...then went to the power wash. I just power washed the undercarriage and the roof.......man my truck was 10 times dirtier than when i started and so was I! That's the price you pay for wanting to play.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

We spray the undercarrege with WD40. and spray off all the mud befor it drys. It always cleans up easier that way.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

13. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

easy off oven cleaner works to take grease and paint off of your block. Its good when the motor is out to repaint but not an every weekend thing.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>