Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clear coat cracks

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by 84mudmachine, Jan 3, 2005.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I have a 98 black Sunfire that has a 3" dia area on the top that has a lot of little looking cracks like a spider web. It shows up as white on the black and it feels rough. Is this the clear coat cracking up? If so, can it be fixed easliy?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its crazing... yes, the clear is cracking.. you'd have to spot it in... sand thru the cracked clear till smooth. you'll be into the basecoat somewhat.. rebasecoat area blending out over featheredged areas. clear to nearest breakpoints or blend...

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like Paul has said...it's cracking....and has given some good advise. :thumb: :thumb:

I'm just going to add..
    If you sand though the clear...and it looks like the color has some cracking too...
    I'd probably dig into it...taking the area effected...down to bare metal.

If you paint over cracked paint...the cracks will return. :eek:

4. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the advise

When it warms up I will try to wet sand it and see how deep it is. Thanks again.:waytogo:

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that was just a real quickie explanation.. if ya tackle it, Jerry and I can give ya detailed stuff i'm sure..

as Jerry said, make sure you get them all the way out. and really, in the bodyshop, you would put a little primer over the area to seal up any featheredges, etc... if its in the middle of the roof or hood it can be a difficult blend, most times they'll spot in the color, dust it out for a blend and clear the whole panel.. but you can blend clear in the middle of a panel, but you usually like to keep it to a minimum. much easier down on a door where you have bodylines, etc to kill it with a backtape or such...

if priming, wetsand with 220/240, prime, 400 wet on primer for basecoat. if ya wanna try and get away without prime, go right with the 400...