Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clear-Coat Over Primer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, May 12, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I have noticed small rust spots here & there on my 87 K5. As of now, it still looks pretty good, but it does need a paint job, which is not in my budget right now.

I have been told that it is not good to primer a vehicle and then not paint it right away, as it can still form rust under the primer..true?

I have also seen where some of these hot-rod guys are priming their cars & then clear coating over the primer...will this stop the problems associated with just the straight primer?

I've been laid off the past month, and been working on the K5 nearly the whole time, but am thinking about getting set up to do this on the next lay off (ahhh..the world of consruction). I can lay down a decent layer of primer in my shop, so thinking of doing this myself to thwart the rust and later on get it painted professionally.
    This would also be a good time to buy that cowl-induction hood I've been wanting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Whaddya think?

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Primer shouldn't rust through unless you put it over bare metal. If you still have a layer of paint underneath the primer you'll be ok. I had my 86 K10 primered for 2 years (over the paint and massive amounts of bondo) and it didn't rust. The best part about primer is if you scratch it you can just touch it up with more primer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Primer shouldn't rust through unless you put it over bare metal. If you still have a layer of paint underneath the primer you'll be ok. I had my 86 K10 primered for 2 years (over the paint and massive amounts of bondo) and it didn't rust. The best part about primer is if you scratch it you can just touch it up with more primer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the parts I'm worried about are where I'm going to have to go down to the bare metal to remove the rust.

4. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, Primer is poruos so it will allow moisture to penetrate it! As for the clear over the primer I don't know never tried it. If you want good primer try Dupont Europrime, it is the best primer I have ever used. Primer also dies over time due to it not meant to be exposed to the elememts. So chances are to get a good paint job you are probably going to have to re-prime your rig anyway.

Just my .2

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the parts I'm worried about are where I'm going to have to go down to the bare metal to remove the rust.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're removing rust, you'll need bondo right? bondo doesn't rust /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif