Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clear Coating...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Feb 6, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thinking about just clear coating my beadlock rings, I love the look of raw steel. Is this feasible or borderline idiotic? Any tips, processes, or brands I should know about?

2. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

not sure how it will bond with the raw steel.... since ya should do an etch primer coat under color.... what about a clear epoxy? that might bond better... but then again how long are you looking at it to last... the clear coat might jsut be fine, if you shoot laquer thinner on it with the gun first... to wash it...

3. mikey_d05

Well, it's an outer beadlock ring. Basically nothing is going to last on it short of tungsten plating. In one trip I ripped the living hell out of my rims. It'll have to be touched up periodically no matter what I do...I'm just seeing if it's a viable option in the first place. Probably end up just spray bombing it with black or orange since it's gonna be too cold to paint in my garage and I need to have them painted and mounted by the end of president's day weekend.

4. gmcman7202

howa bout some cheap clear coat then? like rattle can clear? or even like painters pride...? if you do rattle can ya could back them in the oven to make it harder and lay out better... back at 350 .... careful stinks up the place somethign nasty...

5. mikey_d05

That's what I was thinking, I just didn't know if it'd even stick very well to raw steel. I don't know jack about clear coating, be it rattle can or professional.

I think the oven is off limits though. Ma would not be happy about me baking truck parts and stinking up the house. :crazy:

6. brotha b

brotha b Registered Member

ive always wanted to try that ,primer is a wonder and it does just that it primes the surface so ? take a piece of similar metal and see what happens give it time and b creative with your elements throw some salt and dirt on it, for a good test pressure wash the piss out of it after a while, just to see what happens, good sprayins.

7. mikey_d05

I have two days to paint, mount, and throw the tires on the truck before it NEEDS to be finished for a wheeling trip. Cheap and dirty is key. :crazy:

8. brotha b

if its not an issue then just spray the piss out of em and stick em in yor oven at 350 for 15 minutes you will probably scratch them any way but baking them will help

9. mikey_d05

Haha, I'll make sure the boss isn't home and give it a whirl. They ARE going to get scratched...I'm just making sure that clear coating raw steel isn't just a waste of time. Besides, if I need to touch them up, I can always do it on the truck and it'll just look like I'm an armor-all junky. :D

10. brotha b

x act lee

11. gmcman7202

the oven stench sticks round for hours.... what i did is found a 15 buck oven and use that in the garage in the welder socket for my baking... be it paint or pizza... nothing like a paint tasting pizza when your buzzing with beer and friends...

12. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

There is an adhesion promoter called bulldog that will help the clear stick, NAPA used to sell it. We sprayed a buddy's cage like that and it held up pretty good, but I haven't seen it in a year or so.

Just sand it down with some 180 grit and spray the bulldog, then three wet coats of clear and some heat. Don't know if you have a heat lamp around but they work wonders when spraying small things.(Had to buy an oven in high school for using it too much with little projects, Kandy and ice pearl give the oven a nice tint though.):o

Hope it helps,

Tommy

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I would get requests all the time for clear powdercoat,,, and its works fine on (super clean) steel... but its spendy to the end consumer (super cheap for the coater)same as doing a color... I dont think the expense is justified on a trail rig thats going to get really scraped up....

rattle bomb clear works fine for what you want...use a good brand,, they dont yellow as fast

14. mikey_d05

What brand would you recommend? It's not a beaty queen but I don't want it to look like hell either.

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

name brand... go with rustoleum... their stuff holds up pretty well... and doesnt yellow..Ive used it on art projects as well

cam

16. brotha b

ya that stench does linger, good remedy that you came up with though

17. gmcman7202

it was a nice oven also... i wouldnt use a gas one caus i was afraid of lighting the vapors and blowing up