Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clearance, again!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZK5, Apr 20, 2000.

1. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Everyones tire size, pressure and wheels are different so the clearance under the diff is going to be different even with the same axle. If you measure the distance from the bottom of the differential housing to the ground. Then measure the distance from the bottom of the axle tube to the ground. Then measure the diameter of the axle tube. Add half the axle tube diameter to the distance from the bottom of the axle tube to the ground. From this result subtract the distance from the bottom of the differential housing to the ground. This will give you the difference in hang down between different axles. I'll measure my FF 14 and my 12 bolt, if someone measures a 10 bolt and a Dana 60 we'll be set for rear clearance.
    CB

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

More Coffee please......
    Ok now I get it had to read it a couple times to vision it!
    I hear ya thou on the many variable at stake here!
    I think all of us are gonna hit somthing on the trail anyway so an inch here and a 1/2 inch there isn't gonna change nothin!! " When in doubt, Balls OUT!!!"
    Just crank up some Led Zeppelin when yr sliding over thoes rocks and you won't here the awful noises cummin from the under side!! [​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Your joking about the inch or 1/2" aren't you ?
    Or are you one of the non-off-road Blazers ?
    If you are giving away inches feed her well.
    lololololololololol, hahahahahahahaha

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

What I ment was,for me I still seem to hit the underside of my rig from front to back in the high spots and the low spots!So an inch here a 1/2 inch there it all still seams to hit!
    And If you had the opertunity to see my rig in person you would beable to see all the scars and gashes onit from the trail rides!
    Have fun[​IMG]

5. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I measured the distance from the axle centerline to the bottom edge of the center section for the following axles:
    Dana 44 = 5.25"
    12 Bolt = 5.75"
    Dana 60 = 6.00"
    14 Bolt FF = 7.06"
    I don't have a 10 bolt or a SF 14 bolt to meeasure.
    CB

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok so it looks like the 14BFF is hangin 1 inch lower than the D60! Good Job dude! Thanks for the info!!

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A 10-bolt should be pretty close to a Dana 44.
    Let's see, if I put a FF14 in to replace my 10-bolt, I'll have to go to about 39" tires to keep the same clearance as my 35's give me now......then the 39's will require a front Dana 60, lower gears, more lift, different rims, longer driveshafts, more power to turn them, bad road manners..........yeah, I don't know why people want to keep their 10-bolts......................

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Let's see, a ride on a flat bed from Moab to Denver, repair 10-bolt or tow to 4x4 shop to repair (wife is pissed). Next year ride on flat bed from Moab to Denver (This time wife gets really pissed and spends all your money on new 30,000. car). Could have saved a lot of money going with the beef from the begining. Yeah, I don't know why people want to swap to a 14 bolt. [​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist
    Steve

9. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

If you change from a 12 bolt and 33's to a 14 bolt and 36's it's about a wash under the housing. But you have gained 1.25" under the axle tubes and the ability to climb over larger obstacles with the increased tire diameter.
    CB