Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clearancing a cv

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, May 20, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I finished up my 52 inch spring swap on my 71 blazer and the thing flexes so much I won't have enough droop on my cv. I don't have the shaft bolted to the axle, just the cv, and it binds when I turn it. Granted it is hanging 3 inches below the yoke on the axle. Is there a way to clearance the cv itself? I am pulling the shaft to have it lengthened since I moved the axle forward 3 inches, so I need to know if I should have the shop clearance it, or have them take the cv apart so I can grind it, or if it can be done assembled.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

post pics of the flex!!

is it a 1310cv? a bigger cv would allow for more angle. maybe try a 99-06 F350 shaft, i just bought one on ebay for $120, which was less than what i paid to have my rear shaft lengthened. just a thought. that way you get a 1350cv, then can get it shortened if needed

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had mine extended but Did not realize the tolerances on the joints so when I got it back the drive line would bind. I pulled her myself and cut down the contact points on it. it was real easy with a grinder. if they allready have it though, have them do it.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

on my truck.. I flexed it out in my driveway... then tried to turn the d-shaft.. it bound up so I took my grinder out and ground off the metal bump tabs... now she will flex and not bind up..... :bow:

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

do you have any pics for comparison on this? so just get one of those and the cv is bigger and allows more droop? not that my truck has massive flex.. my 6" lift shocks are my limiters right now... as if I allowed the truck to flex anymore the d-shaft would come apart... :haha:

so my shocks are my limiting straps...

6. garlicbreath

I am going to have some crazy flex, so I need to do something. Question is about that 1350 cv is will it bolt up to a 205?

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

can you clearance your CV with the shaft still bolted up to the truck?

8. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

There are a couple different 1350 flange pilot sizes,you can turn your yoke pilot down on a lathe if you are using the stock flat flange on your 205.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well it hasnt come yet, but i got the idea from a thread that was on here not too long ago. when it comes ill take pics.

10. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Sorry but I gotta throw the BS flag on this one.:crazy:

If you look in the tech section on the Tom Woods site, it states that the 1350 will go to +20* before any binding, and the 1310 will go to about 30*.
    This is if both CV's are in stock unmodified state, so simply getting a bigger CV MAY make your problem worse.
    Here is the link.
    http://4xshaft.com/index.html

11. garlicbreath

My front shaft doesn't use the flat 203 style flange. It uses a yoke just like rear that the cv bolts to.

12. FWP

FWP CRS

You running a spicer CV up front? 10 spline front output? You can clearance it, but it will get pretty weak, you may lose the center. I would call up Jess, and chat with him about what you are wanting to do.