Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clearing a hard drive

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Aug 11, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have an old hard drive. It's not big. Maybe 6-8 gigs... but I wanted to clear it off. It's not installed in anything. So could this be done? Back when I was a DJ for my high schools radio station we used a bulk eraser (like a big electro magnet) to clear audio tapes, carts (8 tracks basically) and video tapes... can I use something like this on this sucker? Just thought one of you guys would know since I know jack on this stuff! Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

Steph, just plug it into your pc as slave hd and format it. It's easy and fast.

Luca

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Back when I was a DJ for my high schools radio station we used a bulk eraser (like a big electro magnet) to clear audio tapes, carts (8 tracks basically) and video tapes... can I use something like this on this sucker?

[/ QUOTE ]
    if you do that it will make it into a paper waight lol switch it to slave mode and put it on one of the ide cables and start windows and then find out what drive it is ie e: f: g: whatever and then right click it and then click format /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

ya gotta use windex. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif seriously i don't know bout ne of this stuff. sorry no help from me. later.

jacob

5. ChevyCaGal

Windex... I think someone read the post by Prembird... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha yea but whatever you do..DONT do that...you should have it in a anti-static bag all the time to if its not cuase you could ruin it if it got shocked or something HDD's are very sensitive to anything like that..but i agree do as the others have said on putting it into your computer.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Bryan

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Drop it in your computer, go into dos and type FDISK, its gone for good /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You need to install it as a slave HD. Doing that will require you to hook it up to your current primary IDE cable that is hooked up to your current HD. Keep your primary HD hooked to the connector at the end of the cable like it is now. Hook the new HD up to the middle connector. Now, make sure you have the jumper on the HD set to slave. You might have to take some tweezers and pull the jumper off and replace it in the slave position. Lastly, install a four-pin power cable to the HD and mount it.
    Once you've double checked it, turn on the computer and exit to the BIOS. Ket th ecomputer auto detect the HD. Reboot it and load up your OS.
    Your new HD should be listed as drive D: which will bump your CD-Rom, CD-RW, or DVD up a letter to E:
    Go the command prompt and type fdisk
    It will load fdisk and give you lots of options. In a nutshell, you need to
    1. Identify what partitions are on the HD (so you can know what to delete)
    2. Delete all partitions (probably will be only 1 partition, but who knows there could be more)
    3. Create a new primary partition. You most likely will want it to be a FAT32 partition. Create it at the maximun size (entire size of hard drive)
    Now exit and reboot. You MUST reboot for it to recognize the new partition.
    Having rebooted, go to the command prompt and type format d:
    It will verify, format, nd verify again. You now have a clean HD.
    CAUTION: Do NOT under any circumstance format C. Do NOT under any circumstance accidently delete a partiton on your C drive when you are in the fdisk program. Double check to make SURE you are changing D. You will delete you operating system and all your data if you accidently do anything to C.
    -- Mike

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Steph, has this hd been yours from the beginning? Or is it one you got from someone else? I am asking cause if it's been yours all along, you would remember if you had partioned it. And it would be unnessecary to get into fdisk. Just install it as a slave like already discussed. Reboot and get to the command prompt, type format d: and thats it.....Fresh hd.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What's your objective? Remove old data, or reclaim storage space?

If you're going to hook it up internally, here's what I'd do (and the government does with old drives):

Hook the drive up to your system and boot into windows. Once in, find and identify the hard drive. Right click on it, and click format. It will tell you it's a large or non-removable drive, are you sure you wish to do this. Yes, you're sure (and make sure you're sure this is definately the drive you want to wipe!). Go through the format process 7 times. Yes, 7 times! Then go ahead and fdisk or whatever you want to the drive.

The government's standard for clearing a hard drive after it's served it's life is to format it 7 times, then drill a hole in the platter. Studies have found that only after the 6th format is data truly unrecoverable.
    Fdisking is good if you're hoping to change the partition structure and organization of the drive (I.E. make it look like 1 or 2 drives). Fdisk will NOT secure data against intense recovery if that's your intent (been there, recovered data for clients that oops thier fdisk!). Also, if you're a novice at fdisk, don't mess with it, format is simpler and will probably do what you want. Fdisk being as cryptic as it is, might let you wipe out your system accidentally...

Another safety procedure you might want to follow:
    If you open your system and install this drive, unplug your current hard drive's data (ribbon) cable, and plug this drive into it, then boot to a win95/98 boot floppy or CD, and wipe/fdisk the drive that way. Then you can be sure you're not possibly wiping out your existing data. Format.com is not on a win98 boot disk, but if you boot with CD support, insert your windows98 cd, format.com is located in the win98 directory on the cd. The syntax would be something like this from the A: prompt (substitute X: with your CD drive):

x:\win98\format.com c:

Good luck!

11. mudhog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Fdisk will NOT secure data against intense recovery if that's your intent (been there, recovered data for clients that oops thier fdisk!

[/ QUOTE ]
    could you tell me how to do this? i have had people ask me if i could recover stuff that they acsidently erased

12. ChevyCaGal

It's not installed right now and I can't put into my current system it'll void my warrenty. It was to send to Lara because hers took a poop. She sent it in and they are taking forever to fix it. Just was gonna be to tide her over so she could use her system at home. I didn't want her to get something with a bunch of crap on it from when I used it. That's why I am asking...

13. mudhog

there is no way to clear it unless you put it in the pc

14. ChevyCaGal

I figured as much... but like I said I wondered if there was another way like we used to use back in HS...

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

But I like crap /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

You rock steph!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You need software that can read the drive sector-by-sector.

There's a Norton tool that can do this only immediately after you've fdisk'ed, as long as you haven't formatted, but I don't recall the specific name of the product. Maybe part of Norton utilities? That's what I've used to recover partitions years ago.

There is software that's used by computer forensic scientists/police that can peel data off the drive if you've fdisk'ed or formatted it up to 5 or 6 times, even after using the norton speed disk tool that wipes the sectors. I've never seen that done, but have read about it in security articles.

All Fdisk does is tell the drive how the partitions are layed out, it doesn't actually do anythig to the data on the drive. It's generally considered to be wiping out the drive because the partition table is changed, which is how any OS reads the drive's partitions. The data's not wiped, it's just made inaccessible, then overwritten as you use the computer.

17. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Easy way for a Novice to re-format a Hard Drive:

Bring it over to my house with a six-pack of MGD and I'll get it taken care of in about 10 minutes!

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. ChevyCaGal

ARGH!!! I dunno if it's gonna work Lara.... I took it to work and begged our tech guy to test is out and he said something was wrong with it. He said the burner was fine though... I can try to get you another hard drive for like $25 if you are interested? It'd be a 40 gig maybe bigger. My friend builds puters and lives in the Bay Area. He going camping with me this weekend so he could bring it over tomorrow since he's coming up a day early to see his parents. Lemme know...

19. mudhog

if she dont ill take a 40gig or bigger for $25 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif