Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clevis mount questions... Is this strong enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, Jun 17, 2006.

1. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Registered Member

I want to use some 1" x 2" solid steel to make some clevis mounting tabs. The hole for the bolt needs to be 1.125" diameter, leaving just under .5" of steel on the top and bottom of the hole.

The truck they will go on will be in the mud a lot, and often burried over the axles in mud. A large tractor or a back hoe is usually used as the recovery vehicle, so these mounts need to be fairly strong.

The questions...

Will these be strong enough?

What type of steel do I need? Will the mild steel from a local welding shop work?

Here is a fancy pic I made with my ultra-cool photo editting software and my mad skillz...

[​IMG]

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I will take a look at mine in an hour and let you know. I think mine are 1x 2.5 but will let ya know in a short.

3. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Cool, thanks. If you could measure about how big the hole is too? It's no big hurry, this is a project that I'll start in a few weeks.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

here is the shackle mount for my 2X8 rectangle tube bumper I made. Im goint to cut holes in the tube the shape of the mount then slide them in from the back then weld around the round dia and on the front face of the bumper around the mount. this is a 2.5 dia pin that I milled to 1.25 wide to just fit the shackle width. the shackle pin is 7/8 (.875) actual dia is about .870, so the hole in the mount is like .880. .005 a side clearence which is plenty. wall thickness on the mount at the hole to the outside dia is at .810. 3/4 on over in is plenty with cold rolled steel. dont use hot rolled steel. the red line is where the bumper face will be. so the shackle lug where the pin screws in will be about 1/2 in away from the face of the bumper.

Dscn1213.JPG

6. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

That is a very nice piece there sir, good work. One suggestion if I may... make the pin hole a tad larger incase you end up needing to put a different shackle in there that was manufactured to different tolerances. (Just a thought from a machinist whos had to ream out his carefully machined to exacting tolerance pin holes before. :doah:)

7. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

Its probably fine, but the way I deal with this kind of delima in my own fabrication is when I dont know, I build stronger. Like said above, use 3" or maybe even just 2.5" x 1". If your needing a 1.125" pin, the pad eye better be STOUT. ;)

8. Metrodps

OK sorry for delay got busy working on truck and lost track of time. Mine goes through the bumper front and back. It is the same size as what you drew the hole is just under 1 inch. I believe this is the same you will find on a Military Blazer or Pick up.

[​IMG]

9. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

I WANT THAT BUMPER! PLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

10. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

if anything is gonna goe it'll be the clevice... Mild steel will be PLENTY strong... your talking about a 1 inch thick peice of flatbar. just make sure you get some good welds on it... might want to think about a double pass depending on the welder, or is it getting bolted on? I can't view pics so i'm not sure how you want to mount it but as long as you not gonna be pulling up it'll be fine.

11. Metrodps

Contact Chris at CRB Off Road Products here is his web site.
    http://www.crboffroad.com/ he is one heck of a nice guy to deal with. :thumb:

I love mine and would not sell it for twice what I paid for it. Makes so much more room in the back and keep the wackos off my bumper. Of course having a black and white Blazer might help too!
    [​IMG]

12. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I was thinking the clevis might go first also. It's probably going to be bolted on using 3 bolts 5/8" diameter with backing plates inside the frame.

13. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Beautiful! I was thinking the same thing, but since you put it so much nicer than I could have, I had to quote ya.

Here's a second to make the hole bigger. +-.005 is great if your making a plane, but when mud, dirt, and PEOPLE are involved, open that beyatch up. Remember my friend, you could have gloves on, it might be muddy, cold, dark, and upside down. Do you want to deal with trying get that clevis pin in that hole?

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Great looking work...

Wish I had the use of a mill and lathe... or even a good drill press...

15. Metrodps

Here is what is the basis of the d ring on the source a M1009 CCUV

[​IMG]

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I make these....

[​IMG]

17. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

If you make it out of 1018 cold drawn steel, as drawn below with a 1.125in hole, it should take about 46,000lbs of force before it starts to yield. If you have a different steel you want to use post up what it is.

18. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

Standard A36 steel bar should work just fine.

19. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

If you use A36 I would beef it up a little; The max load drops to 31,000lb to reach yield. And you want to make sure that the clevis mount is stronger than most two straps.

20. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

how do you guys get through such thick metal? i cant drill holes that thick at all, and had to go to the steel yard for the to punch holes in it w/ a 150,000ton press.