Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

click,click it wont stop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, May 29, 2004.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

ok I set the valve lash like four times already and it wont stop it sounds like lifter tick. would a colapsed lifter still make that noise even after seting it. i even set it while it was running but to no luck, maby a broken spring?
    if anyone could help it would be great?

thanks I'll be in the car hold and will check back later!
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I believe the best way to set them is with it running. I've seen it where the lock nuts have been worn out and won't maintain adjustment. I would guess a collapsed or leaky lifter may cause that as well.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

20w-50 oil may help, especially on a higher mileage engine, i only run a particular brand, and alot of people don't like it for weird reasons, but i have definately noticed a difference on noisy lifters, and that is Quaker State 20/50, i used to run Castrol and a few others but this hasd really done me good, i change it out every 2500 or so, keeps it clean, and haven't had any real problems with my lifters.

Could definately be a bad lifter, a broken spring should be very obvious and i do believe the engine would not run right anyways.

Are the push rods spinning when you had it running and adjusting them? How many miles are on this motor?

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1. Look to see if the lifter, push rod, and rocker arm in question are getting oil. If you do not see oil coming out of the top of the rocker arm, then the lifter is not pumping up.

2. If your rocker studs are pressed in, and not screwed in, then look to see if the rocker stud in question is pulling out.

3. If you have a broken valve spring, as you mentioned, then one way to determine this is to try and spin the valve spring in question with your fingers. If the valve spring spins easily, then this can be a sign of a broken spring.

3. There is also the chance that the lifter is bad, even if it is new.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you also may have a bent psh rod, take the rocker off and pull the push rod out, roll it on a very smooth suface, like a pice of glass and you should be able to tell if its bent or not

6. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

your not going to beleave this! new moter, and the first time its happend to me but theres always a first time for every thing? she blew exaust header gasket! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Those gaskets leak quite easily and should be nothing to get too excited about. Just use a good quality replacement and keep the bolts tight!!!

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

use the metal or copper gaskets.