Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Click/pop noise while steering....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, May 17, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Whenever the vehicle is in motion and I am turning it makes a kind of pop/click noise, It does not when the truck is at a stand still while cranking steering wheel. I checked the box ( I have a brace kit )looks good still attached to frame and bolts are tight. What other things could I check and how do I check them?

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

check your u-bolts, mine was doing the same thing not to long ago when it would only do it when i was pushing on the brake and turning though, it ended up being my u-bolts being loose

3. stallion85

That could be a possibility since I recently did an axle swap. I will check them out, thanks.

4. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Mine did that awhile ago, ended up being a worn drag link end. Get someone to stand outside the truck when it does it and maybe they can tell where the noise is coming from.

Unless of coures by in motion you mean faster than just rolling along. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. stallion85

Ok, I just checked my u bolts and they were fine, how can I tell if the drag link is shot? Oh if it helps the pop noise sounds like a peice of metal popping out a dent ....? The steering feels a little looser than normal and all started after a wheelin trip last weekend...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

mine does this as well. I found out that even though my frame was not cracked, the previous owner had welded some plate steel to strengthen the frame, but never botherd to weld the cracked frame underneath. This was creating a "popping" noise when I would turn at show speeds. It also cause the box to twist a little when under load. I have a ORD crossover kit and a box brace that are supposto be deliverd tuesday to help my steering woes.

Good luck, and happy wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. stallion85

I replaced my steering box about 2 months ago, frame looked fine with everything off /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI have the ORD brace kit also....should I remove the steering box and look at the frame? Or can you tell by having someone look at it while you turn the wheel?

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You are describing what my steering is doing to a T, (justhorsinaround) Allan and i were out checkin out my deal, and did notice that the drag link is going bad, the ball joint ends are aquiring alot of play in them, causing the "loose" feeling, i believe the popping was coming from them as well, mine actually pops all the time, movine and sitting still, left to right, mostly popping when the wheel is turning to the left.

Going to be replacing the drag link soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have a ticking noise as I'm rolling along... its the brake pads being loose
    I also have a popping noise when I turn, its the coil over on the stabilizer
    Was going to fix both today but only got my furd towers and new shocks on

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Check your spring eye bushings, especially the driver front. Mines doing this now and I have new bushings on the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

that happens to mine i think its my ball joint. it is a little loose.

12. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    You are describing what my steering is doing to a T, (justhorsinaround) Allan and i were out checkin out my deal, and did notice that the drag link is going bad, the ball joint ends are aquiring alot of play in them, causing the "loose" feeling, i believe the popping was coming from them as well, mine actually pops all the time, movine and sitting still, left to right, mostly popping when the wheel is turning to the left.

Going to be replacing the drag link soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will check the ball joints in the ends of the drag link. I should just have to replace the ends not the sleeve correct? How much is too much play?

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That would be correct, but for some reason, i am having a hard time finding them, hmmm, will finger it out though.

14. ewtnaboot

ewtnaboot Newbie

dude- My k5 was making the same f-ng noise. I replaced every goddarn steering/suspension component and it still did it. I had my transfer case (208) out a couple days back and the noticed a lone bright shiny surface above where the t/c sits. Turns out, a little piece of the t/c was making contact with the cab. The noise i was hearing was from extra body flex or t/c movement due to crapped-out body/tranny mounts & popping in a part of the cab right below the passenger seat. I (don'ttryathome) jacked up a piece of wood up under my cab and essentially forced the floor up an inch and walla! no more contact and NO more popping noise. I've since done all the mounts and that gave even more clearance. Hope that helps or at least made sense.

15. ewtnaboot

ewtnaboot Newbie

I realize i'm all alone on this thread from good 'ol '04 but I really hated that noise.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A sheared center bolt in the front leafs can make that sound too!...my '72 K5 made that "pop" for months,then one day I noticed the steering wheel was off center when going straight ahead,when before it had always been centered--moving the wheel with the brakes applied showed movement at the U-bolt plate on the drivers side,and the front spring eye was stretched out enough to let the bushing move around in it too...I put a pair of good used 3 leaf springs in place of the original 2 leaf ones with new U-bolts,center bolts and bushings and that silenced the "pop" noise...also make the truck stay on course much better and no wandering ,and the steering wheel returned to "straight ahead" position without touching the drag link or tie rods..the ball joints ,drag link and tie rod ends had been replaced already before the noise started...

I've had loose and or sheared rivets in the front crossmembers (or cracks!) make the same noises on some lifted trucks I've worked on too...putting a grade 8 bolt in place of the rivets and a bead of weld solved that problem..