Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clicking During Idle...

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by willyswanter, Jan 21, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, when my truck is sitting at idle, something clicks on and off on the engine... It will be sitting there and I hear a click and then the idle gets a bit rougher, then a click again about 30 seconds later and it's smooth, then a click about 30 seconds later and it's rough and so on and so on and so on... And no my A/C is not on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Anyway, what would this be and whatever it is should it be doing it this often? Oh yeah, 96 vortec 454. All my engine building experience is for pre-efi stuff so I dunno what they have stuck on these things... It sounds like a relay clicking on and off.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is your defroster turned on when this happens? GM's will kick in the A/C compressor from time to time when in defrost mode. It makes the evaporator coils cold enough to condense moisture in the air and remove it from the air stream. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nope, nothing is turned on. But thats what the sound remindes me of is the compressor turning on and off. I guess I could always just go out and watch the compressor to see if the clutch is engaging... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think my AC compressor does that no matter what the heater/AC setting. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Most newer rigs cycle aircond comp to keep seals lubed better.It's irritating,but,they don't lose coolant over winter like old ones, /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

mine does it too...its the compressor

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Can you see the comp. pulley engage and disengage?
    It could be your evap purge or egr, both of which use a duty cycle when engaging. Granted neither is supposed to work when idling, but you said the idle is rough. Any codes, or is it the A/C?

8. bigred350

bigred350 Registered Member

mine does that to but when its in the off position it doesnt do it

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When Lift Kit Warehouse lifted my buddies truck they broke a switch on the back of the compressor and his switched off and on, we got a new switch, put it on, now it doesnt click on and off while idling.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

My 93 had A/C and the compressor would cycle even if the A/C was off. My 95 doesn't have A/C so I don't have to worry about it. That empty bracket needs a york... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif