Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clicking noise in 14 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by senavader, May 16, 2003.

1. senavader

senavader Registered Member

I dont know what caused this clicking noise in my rearend, but I cant figure out what it could be. At first I thought it was the rear cv because it was very dry, neglected to properly grease it. But, after rebuilding it, it stil is clicking. Ive pulled the diff cover and looked for metal shaving, but not much there either. Ive also had the pinion looked at, but it seems to be all proper?? To me it sounds like a locker clicking when engageing or disengageing when turning, but for one its a detroit and it should'nt be a constant click. The only thing I know is, it started after a 120 mile round trip to Del Rio Tx. and before I made that trip, I installed disc brakes.....there is'nt anything caught in the calipers or rotors, so I dont know where else go?? Please help with any suggestions. The only other info i have is, I had 5:13s installed about 4 to 5 hundred miles ago. thanks for your time

Jon

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Could it be some of the brake hardware has come loose, and is rattling around in the drum/backing plate area? That happened to Me once. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. senavader

senavader Registered Member

thanks for your input, Ill check everything on the braking mechanics. I still think its something in the diff, but i cant pen point it.

thanks
    Jon

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

When the brake hardware break's loose, it's a crunchy, grinding, nasty noise. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

and the shrill scream as you veer into oncoming traffic (because your brakes are screwed)is also a tell tail indicator. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif