Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clicking noise

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kiley, May 8, 2001.

1. kiley

kiley Registered Member

While having fun this weekend I noticed a clicking noise from the front end. It only happened when in motion and especially when turning. My wife said she could feel it in the floor board on the passenger side. I should also mention that it only happened when in 4 wheel drive. I didn't try to see if 4 low or 4 high made a difference but I was in 4 low. Before looking into it I though I should ask the experts. It seems obvious that is in the steering u joints but I'm not sure.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Try this: Lock the front hubs, but leave the transfer case in 2-Hi. Drive it. If it makes the noise, it's probably the U-joints at the ends of the half shafts. If it doesn't, there's more that needs to be looked at (but they could still be the problem).

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

yep my first thought was axelshaft steering Ujoints.
    Do Dr. Chin's test and that should atleast narrow it down for you.....
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Thanks for replying so fast. I tried that but no clicking. What's next?

P.S. I got my website sort of up and running.
    http://www.kiley.coloradok5.com

72 cst

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Let's see. The clicking was not there with the hubs locked but in 2wd. The axle shafts, differential, and front drive shaft spinning but not under load. When in 4wd, the same parts are spinning but it clicks. Sounds like a problem I had in my Ford. Turns out I had a broken tooth on the ring gear. May want to pull the cover and look. JT

6. chaptr2

chaptr2 Registered Member

I just found the same noise in my Blazer, (the guy before me didn't believe in the word GREESE)! I had it for so long and couldn't figure it out. Everytime I put the transfer case into 4hi or 4low it made the clicking noise, it would vibrate and come throught the floor boards along with it amplifing throught the stick. I had someone walking next to me (while I was driving slow in 4 hi or 4 low) thought the noise came from the t-case. Turned out to be the front drive line, u-joints, slip yolk, and that bearing inside the knuckle part (what ever it is called). Drop your front drive shaft first, and then put it into 4 wheel drive, see how that works. Let us know

7. chaptr2

chaptr2 Registered Member

Have you found out the problem? I put a new driveshaft in mine and everything works perfect!

8. kiley

kiley Registered Member

No. I have not had time to get out again. Plus it's raining in Oregon again and the top is off. I'm waiting for blue skies.

9. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Hey guys, I finally got out and listened to the clicking noise. It seems to be coming from the transfer case. It only happens when the steering wheel is turned. I didn't think to check and see if it happens in high and low range. I was in low range at the time.

10. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

try your leaf springs the 4 bolts that atach the spring to the housing
    colin

IF its not broke dont fix it

11. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Check your fliud in your T-case. I would defenatly do ask suggested before and pull your front diff cover and check your gears. If you hear the noise coming from the T-case most likely thats what it is.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/71blazer>http://www.geocities.com/71blazer</A>