Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clicking Noise

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by braunm, Aug 1, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

Started truck today , drove away something started to click. I think it was the glow plug that was making the noise. An then the water in fuel light started to flash then it suddly stopped. Went back to my house poped the hood and by the fuel filter I saw steam or like something was melting. Could not find anything, no bad smell
    You are the best teacher I have found And I appreiate your help.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your filter passed a stone or somthing. Is it the box-type filter on the pass-side firewall? How long ago did you change it last?. My water in fuel light started going on and off a few months ago. After I changed the filter it stopped.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

3. braunm

braunm Registered Member

The filter is about a year old. Could the clicking be from a bad glow plug relay?

4. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

Did you wash the engine compartment recently? The "clicking" may be the gp controller and it doesn't neccesssarrilly mean that it's bad. Gp controllers are supposed to "cycle" during the 1st few minutes of start-up. Glow plugs don't click, there's nothing mechanical in them. My advice: don't sweat the little stuff, buy AAA, and drive it till it breaks:)

5. braunm

braunm Registered Member

It does not stop cyceling. Should I just replace it or is there something else i should do?

6. Double_T

No, not yet. 1st test the glow plugs. A simple way to do this is with a test light. Disconnect each plug and see if the light (hooked to the batt) will ground thru the terminal on top of the plug. Light = a "good" plug. Bad plugs will ruin a controller. Now, if you have a bad plug or two, replace ALL plugs with the same brand and see what happens. Controllers are very voltage sensitive. If the cycling continues after warm-up, replace the controller. Don't wait too long, it'll burn out your new plugs. Also, look @ Jack Dempsey's book on Diesel Repair from your library. Good luck.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Might I suggest the Haynes Diesel Tech Manual...or even better the Factory Service Manual from Helms. Do not buy the Chilton manual if you are going to use it for your Diesel. Someone I know had a Chilton manual and we were both looking for something on my fuel system. I said I couldn't find it? He said look on page ?? I looked in my book...NO PAGE was there. I traded him a monitor for his book and I have set down and looked it over. Lots of info missing from the "new" ones.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

8. Double_T

SK,
    Good suggestion on the Haynes manual, they did a really thorough job.

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Best money I spent, next to my K5, and my computer, and my membership to CK5.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

10. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks for your help

11. Double_T

what'd yu find out?

12. braunm

braunm Registered Member

Don't have the time to do it yet and I'm waiting for the book to come in. I hope to do it this weekend. then I will let you know.

Mike

13. Double_T

What's the verdict?