Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clicking noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1TUFF89, Sep 11, 2000.

1. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Hey, guys. It's been a while since I've posted any messages. I have changed positions at work and am not in front of a computer all day so "K5 time" has been cut drastically. I have an '89 Blazer (obviously) and recently have discovered a clicking noise coming from one of the wheels when I'm going down the road. I can really hear it when I slow down and try to figure out where it's coming from. I thought it was coming from the driver's side front wheel so I pulled the brakes and calipers off both front wheels, checked them out, and put them back on. I still hear a clicking noise even more since I took the brakes off and put them back on!! I'm pretty sure it's not coming from my rear wheels because I jacked the rear end up off the ground, put it in gear, hit the gas and didn't hear any noises while the rear wheels were turning. Could the noise possibly be the actual brake pad in the front vibrating? It's quite loud when I slow down to 15 or 20 mph and listen for it. I've never had a problem with my brake pads before. They were replaced just a few months ago. I couldn't imagine the pads rattling around inside the caliper. I'm thinking it's the pad in the caliper moving around because when I hit the brakes it stops!! Maybe it's not the brakes at all!! Any ideas?? HELP!!!!

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you positive it's coming from the front? The clicking sounds to me like a u-joint thing- sometimes sounds can be really sneaky about where thay APPEAR to come from!!! Other than that, did you check your bearings? Does the clicking sound correspond proportionally to the speed of the vehicle?

I know when rear u-joints start to go they'll "click"- what about front ones? Does any body know?

3. Can Can

And BTW, welcome back Bro'!!!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had a clicking/creaking noise coming from my front-end and it was the front axle u-joint. I am going to assume you are not in 4WD when you're hearing this though. It could be the little squealers on the disc pads. If they look like they are close to the rotor bend the tabs back a little and see if the noise goes away, if it does you should get new front pads.

HTH Rene

[​IMG]

5. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. guys. Well, here's the story. Almost a year ago I had a bad vibration in the front end when I applied the brakes. Thinking the rotors needed to be turned I headed for the shop. I ended up having new upper and lower ball joints installed on both sides. While that was done I also had them check and repack the front bearings and turn my rotors while they had them off. A few months later I had a bad vibration in the rear. My 33's had come out of balance in the rear as well as my rear u-joints were shot. I had both rear tires re-balanced and both rear u-joints replaced with heavy duty ones. The first time the guy installed one of them crooked. I took it back and he reinstalled the same one. For future reference - NEVER reinstall the same u-joint when you take it out. It can be just as bad as leaving the old one in there. The u-joint had become warped just after a few miles of driving. They replaced it with another one at no (extra) charge. Anyway, I don't guess it would be my front u-joint if I don't have it in 4 wheel drive - right??!! This noise is loud. I imagine the noise is still happening when I'm cruising at 65 with the windows down and the radio up-I just can't hear it. It's driving me crazy. By the way - my front brake pads only have a couple hundred miles on it. What do you think now??!!??!!

6. tRustyK5

Did you check the runout on the rim? Maybe its a little bent and is clipping the backing plate every time it comes around? I had that happen on my old Ford pick-up.

Any marks on the inside of the rim?

If you jack up the front end and spin the tire does it make the noise?

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Can Can

I didn't know you could install a u-joint "crooked". If that is done, can it cause a vibration? I've had a pesky little vibe showing up between 75 and 85 kph on my half ton, and it showed up soon after I got a u-joint replaced. I just assumed that it was a coincidence.......... everything looks and feels tight, though.

8. tRustyK5

Did you mean it was installed out of phase?

Rene

[​IMG]

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you tried hard enough (BFH, large hyd. press), you could get the cup slightly canked in the bore of the yoke, especially if the bores are worn.

It does sound like there may be some interference going on, like a balance weight clipping the caliper or tie-rod end. You should definitely jack up all 4 corners and spin each wheel by hand.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Espen88k5 has a good point. If you have auto hubs these could be the source of the noise. My 89 did this till I replaced the hubs. Sure you don't have anything stuck in your tires?

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Probably the locking hub. My 79 does it all the time and no problems with the bearings and the hub fully disengages. Just clicks when the grease in the hub rotates it slowly is my best guess. Took the hub off and it's gone. Put it back on after cleaning it and making sure it was working correctly and it's back. Lock the hub and it's gone. Did it for 4 years and never had a problem. It's not going to tear anything up it's just an anoyance.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

My front hub have made a clicking sound for 6 or so years now, Waite I had the blazer for 6 years or so and it always made the sound, I pulled the hubs sound went away. Changed the hub from warn to milemarkers and the sound was back after 2 0r 3k miles. Trashed the milemarkes replaced them with warn cheap hub sound came back after 2 or 3k miles. Changed the hubs out this last summer to warn primes with fuse cluch rings sound stayed.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

14. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What about the rims? What kind of rims do you have? I have seen some rims with the ring that goes around them and they make a noise sometime (most of the time). Or what about the weights on the tire or rim? I have heard of some places using the stick on weights (on the inside of the rim), and they would hit the caliper as it spun around. Anyway, just thought I would give my input as well. - Steve :)</font color=blue>
    http://www.sosamantx.coloradok5.com

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

15. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't jacked up the front and spun the wheels yet, but I will. I did the back wheels and heard no noise. I was pretty definite the noise is coming from the front anyway. I have CenterLine Hellcat wheels. I've had them for a year-and-a-half and no problems yet. I do have automatic hubs. Maybe that is the problem. I will check my inside weights too. What exactly goes wrong with the auto hubs?

16. mikejax87k5

mikejax87k5 Newbie

like espen said, the autohubs could be getting half way in...mine did this, i had to pull the hubs, one was rounded down and it was clicking....if you have autos and they are shot, throw some manuals in...cost around 60 bucks for some warn manuals, did that to mine and have had no trouble since.

17. mikejax87k5

mikejax87k5 Newbie

the autos, will get halfway in and round the teeth off and they cant lock...the best thing to do is get warn manuals, i have an 87 they were simple to put in...

18. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I found the problem tonight. I jacked up the front of my truck and spun the drivers side wheel and sure enough there was the clicking noise. I laid under the truck and looked at the back of the wheel, but no luck. I pulled the wheel off, turned the hub and here is what I found. The outside brake pad has a little play when mounted on the caliper. The brake pads are hardly worn, but either the pad is worn a little lopsided or the rotor (when I had them turned a few months ago) is not perfectly round. When the wheel turns the rotor and pad hit a tight spot and the pad "grabs" and moves it a little hitting the caliper. The bracket (or lip) on the pad moves back and forth within the caliper slot. I took the pad off, applied a little loctite to the back of it, put it back in, and after about five seconds I couldn't move the pad at all. Took it for a spin and all is well. And just think - duct tape isn't the only thing that fixes everything!!!!