Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clicking popping starter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Aug 5, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok so a few days ago my stater started popping and clicking when it was trying to turn over. It would crank the engine but it would make some funny sounds. A day later i started it again it started making alittle noise but not as much i turned it off and turned it on again trying to figure out the noise. I gave up and let it sit for awhile. I come back to find out it wont crank at all now nothing. I gave it a whack wit the hammer and it started right up. I drove it to and from a place about an hour away no problem. However the next morning it just wouldnt crank at all, nothing. All this sounds like a bad solenoid to me. What do you guys think?

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

sounds like you need a new starter to me... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Later

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your hammer method probably killed it for sure. Make sure you take it with you to the parts store to compare to the new one.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem when I pulled PI out of storage a few months ago. But I also had a constant jingling sound that made me think I had a broken flywheel. (which is why I parked it to begin w/.) Turned out my starter gear was not fully pulling back in.

Time for a new starter. Tapping it w/ the hammer wont last too long. Sooner or later it will puke out totally.

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah i think that is what happened. Its a goner. The only reason i tapped it with a hammer was because a few people told me that was a way to get it to catch without using the ol failthful screwdriver method.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Problem is the bendix is sticking. Banging it breaks it loose. Even the screwdriver wont work in this case, the power is getting there, its just stuck.

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

hmmm no good man