Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clicking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Oct 28, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have a 85 K5 with 33's.When I turn a corner from a standstill I can here(and kinda feel) clicking in the rear of the truck.I didn't do that before I went wheelin' awhile back(I thrashed it pretty extensively) but now it does.I had put additive in the rear when I bought it cause a friend with a K5 said the factory diff(limited slip is what I believe I have) required it and I didn't know how much it had.I haven't had any problems with it except when I first got it(about a year ago) If I would brake hard while turning sharply(ie. u-turns,etc) it would bind in the rear and I would have to back-up to loosen it.Now it doesn't do that,but I am getting that clicking sound.Could it be the locker(gov-lock or whatever) and should I worry?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Is it a click or a tick noise? Crap that gets in between the leaf packs can cause that. Also If you have an addaleaf, I have seen them touch the hanger leaf on the end and cause the same thing. If you can reproduce the noise easily, put a c-clamp on one end of the spring(very tight) and see if it stops. You may loose the c-clamp if you go very far.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Very well could be the Gov Loc .

I would still check what leper mentioned , beter safe than sorry .

And if it starts feeling funny , like pushing into a turn , get that Gov Loc outta there asap !

4. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have the stock springs.So it is likely that I have a Gov-lock?Do I need to replace it with something or can I just remove it?And if its not the springs then it has to be the Gov-lock?I also noticed that I tweaked the transfer case crossmember quite severely.But it doesn't seem to be binding.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All you can do with a Gov Loc is remove the whole axle and replace it , OR remove the carrier and replace it . Option 1 involves no gear setup .

6. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have a 14bolt ff but that would involve a new front axle and new wheels.I was hoping you guys would say"Sounds harmless....let it ride!!" but I guess I'm gonna end up spendin some money before its over.