Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Climate Control...1991 K-5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Aug 5, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I can no longer choose where the air blows out from the heat/cooling ducts. It all comes out at the floor even when running the A/C. Is this something simple or should I simply replace the entire climate control system? Anyone else had this happen? How much trouble is this? Ideas? Thoughts? Thanks....

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

i would try replacing the check valve first, if that doesnt fix it your door in the heater core box is out of adjustment, so youll have to pull the whole box, i had to do it on mine which really sucked, but now my AC blows nice and cold out of the right vents

3. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Im having the same problem with my '90 I get air from all vents, and cannot control it. Later this week i intend to take the dash panel off and look at the selector valve that is on the heater control to see if its at fault. I'll try to keep you informed.

4. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Ive got the exact same problem so Im really interested to see what solves it

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I once bought a K5 that had this problem. It turned out that a Bic lighter had fallen down through a defroster vent and was jammed in the door that determines where the air comes out. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Under the dash, just to the right of the trans tunnel, the main air plenum is screwed to the air door assembly. It's just a few small screws. Remove the plenum and have a look inside to see if something is blocking the door from moving.

The door is moved by engine vacuum, so a loose line can also cause this. The vac control is on the back of the switch assembly. It can be loose or damaged as well.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem on my '91...

Turned out it was the selector switch in the climate control (the one that selects max, norm, bi-level, etc.). LMC has them for about $20 (simply called "A/C switch") or so and it takes longer to pull the dash bezel than to actually replace the switch. I can get you the actual part number when I get home tonight, if you'd like.

7. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Just to let all of you know.......I found and fixed the problem tonight. Seems there is a "T" right behind the air cleaner close to the fire wall that has 3 hoses attached to it. One hose was snapped. I put a new hose on it.........all's well and working perfectly. Whew! Very cheap fix. I feel like an idiot for riding around for 6 months like that........