Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clinging sound

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89k5blazr, Aug 18, 2001.

1. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

Anyone know what would cause a clinging sound (sounds like cling-cling-cling)? It happens when the truck is like under load in a high gear with low RPM but it itsnt struggling just makes a funny noise. If it helps it comes from the front not the rear. Anyone have any ideas?

<font color=blue>Driving would be more fun if there were no paved roads</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Is it that pinging sound under load ?

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

3. 89k5blazr

kinda.. not a big load... but its under a little stress

1989 K5 350 ci TBI

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinking like riz, maybe it's ping. I'm not sure if this will fit the description, but is it possible the motor mounts are a little too worn and the fan is brushing the shroud? Load would increase the stress on the mounts and likelihood of that, and also cause ignition ping with over-advanced timing or too low grade gas. Sound like a possibility?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

5. 89k5blazr

its like a ringing-pinging.... its got a tone to it.

1989 K5 350 ci TBI

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I think I have the same problem, happens on my truck at hight speeds. Need to figure out what it is. Does it kind of sound like a chain kind of, thats what it sounds like to me. Chain clanking together. Anyone have any idea? Souds like it is coming from the front axle on my truck.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yup, that's where I was going with that one ....... Change your octane on the next fill up and check your timing ........I bet it goes away. Also, run a can of Sea Foam through it to clean things up abit.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey will a new engine fix the problem? Hehe, I am "fixing the problem" tuesday night. (New crate GM 350) Woo hoo! I'll let you know if it comes back or goes away. Hmmm, wonder if the clinking was a sign my engine was about to take a crap? I think so.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> It's not neccessarily that the engine is heading south .......It could just need a tune up to come to life. Add some new plugs and wires and see what it will do for a tired engine !

L8r,

10. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Na, the engine already went south. Messed up a rod. I was wondering if the clinging was a sign that "the time was near". I heard it a few times, one week, then I went wheeling that weekend and messed up the thing. Well after 174k miles never been rebuilt I think the time had come. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I know your engine went bad, but I'm saying that the pinging doesn't neccessarily tell you it's going to crap out on you......... I had a 305 that pinged like that for years and it just meant it needed a little care by way of better gas or some tuning.

L8r,

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yah, like Riz said, pingin doesn't mean really say a lot motor lifespan, it's pretty much just gas or advanced timing. On hot days in the beginning of summer in NYC, nearly every taxi that flies through an intersection I'm standing at will be pingin it's guts out, and those guys beat the snot out of those poor cars... But they hold up fine to it. My uncle told me once a couple years ago that if the detonation gets too bad, it'll put a hole in a piston. I don't know if he was screwing with me or what, though...
    If you can, try to take a look at your timing when you start hearing the ping...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

13. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Your '89 has metal heat shields around the spark plugs. Under slight load at low RPM, a harmonic vibration causes them to vibrate. If they are slightly touching the exhaust manifold at any point, they make a sound similar to what you describe. Take a stick or something and tap the heat shields to see if you can re-create the sound. If you find the point of contact causing the sound, just bend the shield away from the exhaust manifold.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

14. ArmyEd

ArmyEd Registered Member

I had a pinging sound like that. sounded like it was coming from the bellhousing, so i thought i had a bolt working out tapping on something. ended up being a worn rod bearing, a quick but dirty 1.80 fix, since i caught it early