Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clocked Doubler floor issues.....?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az-k5, Oct 11, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am getting a 2" clocked version of the doubler for my K5 (only way I could justify buying a friggin' D60). I am using a TH350 and have a 1979 K5 (half cab style with the drop floor for the rear passengers feet). I have no body lift and worn out mounts. I am assuming I will have to "adjust" the floor to accomodate the 205.

Question.

How much adjustment should I expect. A little trimming, a couple whacks with a BFH, or cut it out and weld in a new pan? I am not worried about doing any of those things just need to be prepared as this is my DD. I searched and got little on the floor issue, and Fox's write up on the doubler didn't mention it either.

thanx

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a couple whacks with a BFH

[/ QUOTE ]

This did it for my old green Blazer w/ a Gen I Doubler.

Marv

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know a guy who can get you sheetmetal bent up if you need it. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Harley

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have a 1" body lift w/ my doubler (2" rotation) on stock t-case crossmembers & i had to massage the floor w/ a bfh. i would guess u could but i would prolly cut & modify the floor w/ no boby lift

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

How large of a spot is the interference (sp) area? I am boat siding the truck soon so a floor mod won't be hard to tie in.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

on mine the top of the doubler adapter, the top of the 203, & the frt output side of the 205 were all touching the floor.

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

BFH not going to work.....

Break out the blue flame special, and then the welder buckwheat, cause your going to need it.

OH BTW, I painted the 205 flaming pink, just like you wanted it..... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    This is what I ended up with in my sub, 2inch rotated doubler and zero body lift. I built a 6 inch tall box the size of the center console thus raising it up and presto a perfect armrest.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BFH not going to work.....

Break out the blue flame special, and then the welder buckwheat, cause your going to need it.

OH BTW, I painted the 205 flaming pink, just like you wanted it..... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any AZ guys that can do that kind of specialty work. The guy that does all of my metal work is kinda shady about timelines. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Actually throwing a new pan kit in the middle won't be that hard. My front floor is OE removable so I will probably just raise the hump a bit. I am thinking of using plexiglass so I can stare at my investment. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So it is the center that has the issues. I would have thought the 205 would have been rotated up against the passenger side floor. THat is okay the middle is easier to modify

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Do like I did and make an H1 style tunnel so you can push the whole thing (trans and cases) up with ease. Plenty of room for shifters too. And the whole thing comes out so you can access everything from the top. I can even sit comfortably and remove/install the top bell housing bolts from the driver's seat (well, if I had longer arms I could). And the entire trans/cases assembly can be raised lowered together with a cherry picker!