Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clocked transfer case shift linkage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Apr 20, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can anyone that clocked their 208 or 241 all the way up tell me how they got their shift linkage to work?

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I didn;t do anything to it accept unbolted it and twisted it on the shaft. Worked fine for me.

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Likewise, that's all I needed to do was lengthen out the linkage about an inch. That's with a 2.5 body lift. Yours maybe different...

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I didn't even need to legthen it. And i too have a 2" body lift.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The problem I have is that the shifter doesn't travel in the same arc that the selector on the transfer case does. So the shifter linkage binds up and it won't shift. I've both bent the shift arm on the transfer case and the shifter linkage trying to get it to work.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had the same problem with the shifter arc. first i took the lever off the tcase and straightened it out (instead of having the bend toward the tcase). i had to cut and splice the linkage to make it 2" longer (no body lift). then i twisted the shifter end to be inline with the tcase (about 1/4" twist at the end where the linkage goes in). the linkage on the tcase end was on the inside on the lever instead of the outside like the factory. then i put both the shifter and tcase in 4 low and adjusted the shifter end till it just slipped in and out with no resistance.

this gives you 4 low, but 2 hi is like 3/4 the way out. i had run it like this for 8 months and no problems. i did have the tcase grind when in reverse and 4lo, but the reason was i had bad motor mounts and it was pulling the tcase out of 4lo.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

us truck guys have a different floor pan.
    i dont have a solution, i just leave it in 4lo. but with a re-clocked lever and some body mods (read BFH) i should have something worked out soon