Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clocking ring problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by glenntx, Jul 7, 2006.

1. glenntx

glenntx Registered Member

Hey guys, I have a 5/16" thick clocking ring between a 4.80e and driverside drop 32 spline np241, and am having problems keeping it sealed properly. It'll stay sealed fine until I get it off-road and get the jeep bouncing pretty good on some rocks. Then it seems to loosen up or something and starts leaking. I've used liberal amounts of thread locker and RTV when assembling. A buddy of mine said it's possible that the ring is flexing when it gets jarred pretty good.

Do y'all think a thicker ring, say 1/2" would help? I'm also considering looking for a steel adapter that can be redrilled, I'm afraid the stock aluminum piece can't be re-drilled because it has webbing around the bolt holes, so it won't have the webbing all the way around the new holes.

Also, I've seen some taller steel adapters but only on 1/2 ton trucks, can these be adapted for a 4l80e? Will the tranny/Tcase index hole be big enough?

Thanks

2. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my ring on a 700r4 and np208. It finally wiggled itsealf so loose the bolts striped. I did longer bigger bolts lots of sealant and a skidplate with some support for the tcase. I dont think it was the ring that caused the problem itsealf as I had the problem with out it as well but not as bad.
    I believe the way the tcase is mounted with no support puts to much stress on the bolts that hold it to the tranny, espically with steep angles and a slip yoke with or without a cv rear driveshaft.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Don't know about the adapter.

I've read a lot about needing long bolts for the ring to adapter. I went ahead and bought 1.25" or 1.5" bolts when I did mine. I think the ring came with 1" and people were having the most trouble with 3/4" bolts. I wanted to play it safe and get bolts as long as I could.

The other problem I had sealing it up was my own stupidity. The first time around I didn't ensure that I had sealant around all the holes and bolts.

Haven't had a leak since the initial install.

Got mine from DIY4x and I don't know how thick it is.

4. glenntx

glenntx Registered Member

Mrk5,
    Do you mean longer bolts that go from the clocking ring into the case?
    I think the bolts/studs that go from the clocking ring to the adapter are already bottomed out on the outer lip of the Tcase.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm talking about the countersink bolts. The first ones you put in to bolt the ring to the adapter. They look like this:

[​IMG]

Other than mine are threaded all the way to the head.