Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clocking Ring Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, Dec 28, 2004.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about getting a clocking ring for my NP241. My Blazer is a '90 with 1 tons, 1" ORD shackle, and 6" springs. Right now the transfer is lowered about 3/4". Is there anything that I need to know before I do the mod. Will the cross member need to be moved back? Will I need a longer front shaft? Has anyone made a high clearance cross member while doing this mod? Will my CV angle be worse?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

IIRC you need a 1 or 2" body lift so the tcase will clear the floor in the upward most position. crossmember will stay in the same spot, the ring goes between the adapter that has the mount and the tcase. you may need a longer front shaft. mine needed to be 2" longer than stock with the tcase all the way up and a 4" lift. here is the crossmember i made,
    [​IMG]
    all it is, is 2" angle iron welded to 1.5" tube and 1/4" bent in a U shape to fit around the mount.
    the CV angle will get worse, mine is just the stock CV that is clearance ground to work, not the best way to go, but it works fine and has plenty of droop with my lift. 6" may be pushing it.

3. trollporter

Thanks for the pic and info. I've got a ORD 1" body and my shaft is a little longer than stock.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The 1" body is just about enough, especially with the case already dropped. Your front shaft will prb still be a little short, and you prb will need to grind out the CV a little. The rear shaft will be long by about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, but I've seen no problems with mine that a set of 1" offset zero rates wouldn't fix. but then again, I've been driving it like this for prb 6 months without a problem. The shifter linkage will need to be adjusted while you are under there, and make sure to use plenty of loc-tite and RTV ;)

KP

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

241 clocking ring

I have a 4 inch lift (ord shackle flip and tc ez rides) zero rates front and rear (both axles moved out 1.5") ORD 1 inch bodylift . W/ the clocking ring my rear driveline fit perfect (it is 2 inches longer than stock) but my fron is about 4 to 5 inches to short (it is also about 2 inches longer than stock). I have the t case clocked all the way up but still have the crossmember dropped 3/4 inch because With only a 1 inch body lift the t case is about an 1/8th of an ich from the body. So I will need to modify the body when I pull the 700 and put in a 400. This is all in a 90 jimmy with 3/4ton running gear and 37x17"s if this helps.

6. trollporter

Thanks guys for the great info!!!