Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clocking the 203 when doing a doubler

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by beater74, Dec 31, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

so what's your opinion. what should i do with the 203 range box? i was thinking for running it upside down and clocking the 205 up 2" to get a flat belly. but of course there are some issue's with this, having 4" of this 203 coming through my floor (no biggie), shifter's ?, how about drive line angles ? or even mounting a cross member, i guess the mounts would have to be machined in to the adapter?

or should i just forget about it and mount everything regularly

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Hey, PM Me, I have an adaptor that will allow a crossmember to be bolted up, if the 203 is flat or upside down.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Oh, and if you clock it upside down, you wont get a leaky shifter problem. OR, run a ford 203 sideways, and swap the guts.

Shifters, your going to have to fab somthing up.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I've done this. There are a few things you might consider.

I clocked my NP203 range box upside down:

[​IMG]

And the NP205 is clocked up more than 2" - it is clocked to where the outputs are level with the inputs.

[​IMG]

This poses two delima's when trying to fit this setup into a K5 without a body lift. First of all, you have the issue of the NP203 being in the way of the floor pan. So, I measured and cut back 10", mearly extending the existing tranny tunnel opening that much further open. I had the T-Cases on "The World's Best Tranny Jack" and jacked it up and put a couple bolts in the NP203. Of course, you will want to remove your distributor cap and let the rear of the tranny sit as low as possible to start out. I bolted it up, then started raising it. To my amazement, the transfer cases didnt even come close to going up into the newly created hole - the NP205 started contacting the body right away. I finally decided to install a 2" body lift. After it was installed, I jacked the cases up again - still finding the NP205 came in contact with the body prior to the NP203 getting in its rightful place. The thought of hacking another hole in the floor wasn't a major problem - the problem was where the hole had to be hacked. I would have to remove my passenger seat and cut a 12"x12" hole right where the left front seat mount was. Since I didn't have the time - I left it where it was.

Where it Was

The foot on the bottom of my WMS Dual Case adaptor sit nearly level with the bottom of the frame. In fact, it might just have been slightly higher. I built a crossmember that sits only 1.5" below the frame at its maximum point. So, I believe in order to achieve a perfect clocking of the NP205, you need to have the NP205 front output shaft about 2" below the input centerline. I think this would allow you to push the cases further up into the body without too many modifications.

I plan to swap in an S10 Cab this winter so I may push it further into the frame for a completely flat belly pan.

Shifters were not a problem. I'll try to get pics of them for you. You could still purchase a triple stick from Watson at Offroad Design and modify it for your use. At one time, I considered cable operating the NP203 range box. While you are doing this mod, be sure to grind the range rail on the NP205 to get full operation of the T-Case.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My 205 is clocked up to be even with the bottom of the 203.But rather than flip the 203 for more clearance,I raised my entire drivetrain up 2.75".I just built some extended motor mount brackets and a new trans crossmember.I have a 2" body lift and the 203 almost touches the bottom of my seat frame /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nothing hangs lower than the bottom of my frame now

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

wow guys thanks for the input, i'm just in the planning stages right now, any more pics you can get would be great.

i plan on installing a 1" body lift to help with the clearance a little, and i hope to tie any new seat mounts into the future cage, this will keep everything off the floor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and allow for maximum hacking on the floor.

so with the 203 adapter upsidedown this would make the mounting point the adapter? right?

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Mine's GM to Ford, but I had the same body problems, I just dind't mind cutting a HUGE hole. The seat mount tubes go right over it so it's not a big deal. My drivetrain is set so that it still angles down to the rear, the outputs on the 205 are level and there's one little bit of the 205 that hangs down too low so the skidplate has one little "dimple" in since it was easier to cut a hole in the skid than rebuild the crossmember to raise the cases 3/16". Mine's mounted off the adapter with a single factory rubber mount under the back of the TH700.

Beck did the "push it up" way without remounting the motor or rotating the 203 and his belly hangs about 1.75" below the frame, including the 3/16" skidplate. This is pretty good bang for the amount of work involved.

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine's mounted off the adapter with a single factory rubber mount under the back of the TH700.

[/ QUOTE ]
    so if i'm using my th350 i can just have you add a mount surface to the adapter and use the adapter to support the combo?

[ QUOTE ]
    I just dind't mind cutting a HUGE hole. The seat mount tubes go right over it so it's not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree completely, have sawsall will cut /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, sheet metal is over rated

so this seems simple enough, now i just need some money /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We always design in at least one mounting surface, sometimes more, so that's not a big deal. You can bolt a lot of stuff to our plate in different places if you want to.
    The TH350 has a mounting pad on the back, so that could be used, just like my TH700.