Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Close encounter of the rattling kind

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by o2bjimmy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yesterday was a beautiful day so I decided to take a hike in the Black Hills and I took my Dog along with me. We had walked no more than a quatrer mile and I heard a rattling. At first I think I thought it was a few thistles rubbing together but then realized I was standing on a rattlesnake and it was in the process of coiling around my foot. I jumped back and it struck at me but thankfully it missed. I was still in the process of jumping backwards when my dog attacked the snake. By this time I had succesfully jumped onto the top of a rock and I seen Mattie run over by me and sit down. I didnt think she had been bit cause she was acting normal. This is about when I looked around and thought "Im in the middle of a rock outcropping on a south facing slope on the first nice day of the year. Not good." This is also when Mattie started yipping and picking her foot up. I jumped off the rock and had to literally drag her off. once we were down i got my first good look at the snake and it was a big one (3.5-4 foot I swear but that cant be...) anyway I dragged her back to the truck and went to the vet. Now her foot is 3 times the size it should be but shes going to be ok. She was also the first snake bite of the year I was told. Also by measuiring the fang marks 1 1/3 inch.... The avg size snake to have those wide of fangs would be pushing 4 ft.

Anyway the snakes are out. Be careful!

james

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks glad the dogs going to be ok though :D

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Thats pretty scary, rattlers are no good,
    But they do taste good :D

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

ours have been out for a good month or more, my frind nicole and I ran into one on some real popular hiking trails hear! scary! :crazy:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hiking checklist - Boots, .45, stick to waive in front as I walk, .45. Glad to hear that the dog will be ok. Rattlesnakes are a PITA, but they make nice boots/belts/hatbands and they do taste good.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Glad to hear you're ok and the pup will be ok.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah, probably be a good idea to carry some sort of firearm with shot, or just a .22 camper pistol

Glad to hear no one got poisoned

8. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

If it worked, here are a few pics. She was bit a total of 3 times. All in the lower leg. I still cant believe how much her leg swelled up. It was way worse than it shows in the pics.Shes been pretty sedated these last few days too (no more wanting to play ball at 2am :grin: ) Shes going to be ok though. The Sturgis search and rescue is helping me pay for the vet bill ($1350). Mattie had just started training with them and they said "Shes a good student" By the way, I do carry a stick but I dont wave it around in front of me like a blind person, and i was wearing my work boots. I also went out and bought a venom extractor.

james

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have seen My Uncles hounds bit by rattlers many times and none of them have ever died. They usually get sick for a few days and swell up pretty good but thats about it.