Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Closed knuckle Dana 60 QUESTIONS..please answer !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jun 14, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i found a D60 closed knuckle, and i think its drum brakes, havent seen pics yet but its from a M715 (kaiser), and they usually were drum brakes.

1- is closed weaker? can it be easily swapped to open?
    2- can it be swapped to disk brakes easily?
    3- is it worth $600.00 with a D70?

it has 6x5on? (oddball) bolt pattern, can that be swapped also?

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it can not be swapped over to disc or open knuckle easy & it is much weaker. i would leave both axles were u found them. the 70 rear is probably a small splined axle in it & is not desirable either

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They CAN be swapped to open knuckle and disc brakes. My friend that has the Kaiser in my album did just the thing.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    They CAN be swapped to open knuckle and disc brakes. My friend that has the Kaiser in my album did just the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but you practically have to buy an extra open knuckle Dana 60 to donate all the parts /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif The closed knuckle Dana 60 is comparable in strength to the open knuckle Dana 44/10 bolt in your truck already. Skip it and look for a '77 and later GM or Dodge axle (or Ford if you want to go high pinion).

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

the only weak points can be easily fixed, the only weak spot is the small studs that hold the spindle on. My d44 is closed knuckle, I drilled out the studs and replaced with the bolts from a d60, fixed. Plus the knuckle end is all forged and will hold the big 1.5 inch shafts and joints, I should know I did it!I have the worlds only d44 with 1.5 inch shafts and big joints the only 1.3 in part of the shafts is the short little end that goes into the SPOOL! pLUS IT SHOULD NEVER BREAK cuz the joint is running in gear oil constantly, plus the axle only turns from side to side about 6 inches, compared to the 7.5-8 inches of the open knuckle, most u joint breakage happens when turning a corner. and parts are redily available for the closed knuckle, oh yeah It uses d60 kingpin/ bearings and d60 steering equipment.I'll take all of them, ya just need to fix their small problems. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif