Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

closed knuckles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, Oct 23, 2004.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

Apr 25, 2004
    ok, so i have this 1970 shortbed, and the front axle doesnt have ball joints, im told this is a closed knuckle, it is just round, are these axles still pretty good, its not my wheelin truck, its for werk...they creak alot wen you turn, can i rebuild them or sumthin, i have never experienced this bfore. thnaks.
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    I had the same closed knuckle front end on a 69 suburban chassis I put under a 72 Chevelle station wagon--the U-joints are enclosed in the "Ball" thing,and swim in 90 weight gear oil--and I think they used a tapered roller bearings similar to a front wheel bearing,only smaller,and a kingpin type setup instead of balljoints.I never had to mess with mine--I found large felt seals for the ball socket knuckle things in the glove box of the burb--geuss the original owner bought them,but never installed them--neither did I,it did not leak that much,and I pumped some grease in it with a grease gun,then filled it up with 90 weight gear oil--barely leaked at all after that--an old timer taught me that trick--saved a lot of work!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif