Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Closing the Gulches?????????

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by woody9, Jan 13, 2004.

1. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

read more @ Gulch THread - FS Mtg! 22 Jan
    (I'm not back in Colo, but try and keep tabs on what's happending in them there Mts!!! Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but figured the more the word gets out, but better!) /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

This does not suprize me at all, they closed "Top of the world" trail ( which is in the same area) about 10 years ago due to a fire and I don't think Ill ever see it open in my lifetime. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It seems that when a trail is torched , it's done with forever. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Thanks for the pointer! I've sent that link to every wheeler I know around here. There are a LOT of people planning to be at the meeting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Harry,
    either post or throw me a PM and let me know how it goes! Doubt i'll be able to make it myself! (wouldn't be back for work in time the next day!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif )

5. HarryH3

Hmm, it would seem that the FS is trying to blow smoke up our collective a$$e$. They showed a picture of a badly erorded spot in one of the gulches at the meeting here. It made it look like the entire trail system is simply destroyed. However, a gent on the www.colorado4x4.org website happens to have a degree in geology and an interest in 4wheeling. He and his brother, an ex-Forest Service worker, spent this past weekend exploring the area on foot, assessing the damage and taking pictures. Their findings are quite interesting:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000789

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Harry, any update on this thread? Closing the Gulches?????????

Harry, any update on this thread? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. HarryH3

Re: Harry, any update on this thread? Closing the Gulches?????????

I haven't heard anything yet about their decision. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But I did let them know how I felt about it. Here's a copy of the letter that I sent to them:

[ QUOTE ]
    As a concerned National Forest user, I attended the public input meeting covering the Hayman Burn Area, at Coronado High School in Colorado Springs on January 22nd. While I was expecting to find a much more formal meeting, I was able to have insightful conversations with many of the Rangers that were present. However, from the information that was presented there, it seemed like the decisions have already been made, and that the “public input” meeting was simply a formality that is required by the process.

While researching the issues surrounding the subject I came across an interesting viewpoint on the Internet that seems to be in direct contradiction with the “information” presented to the public by the Forest Service. It seems that a person with training in geology recently hiked into the area in question, to see for himself just what problems exist and to what extent. His findings are very different from the information that was presented at the public input meeting held by the Forest Service. From looking at the photographs presented at the meeting, one could easily get the impression that the entire area of the forest is extensively damaged and rutted by excessive erosion. However, the information provided by the geologist mentioned above stated that the majority of the trails and gulches in the area have very little, if any damage at all. It seems that the Forest Service took close-up photographs of a VERY small area of damage and is using those photos as an example of what the entire section of the forest looks like.

Please consider this letter as a request to keep all trails in the area open to all forms of access. If signage is required to alert motorists in passenger cars of the dangers posed by some of the more difficult trails, then I would much rather see those signs erected than to close the area to all users just to keep a few less-than-brilliant drivers from getting stuck on the trail in their cars.

This taxpayer would like to see all areas of publicly owned land remain available to the public that is paying for their maintenance. I am very concerned that one-by-one, trails in and around Colorado, and the Western US, are being closed for one vague reason or another. The biggest impact from these closures seems to be that it just forces forest users to congest other areas as they are forced to partake of their recreational activities in ever-smaller areas of the forest. Reducing the total area accessible to the public, while at the same time the population continues to grow, seems counterintuitive. Please strive to keep all of our treasured national resources available for everyone. I certainly hope that my children don’t grow up to live in a society where the only “nature experience” available to them is at a Scenic Overlook alongside an Interstate highway.

Regards,

Harry
    Colorado Springs, CO

[/ QUOTE ]