Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

closure on 6.2 altenator Q's......

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, Nov 23, 2006.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

I've heard it argued over and over again on this site, but i was wondering If it's a catastrophic ordeal if i throw a gasser's 108Amp alt. on my 6.2? I hear that 6.2's need an alt that charges on idle blah blah blah... just trying to fix an electrical bug and the the alt. is the only culprit left and it has been on the frits for a year now.
    Pulsating current while driving, 12-18 volts, cutting power when it gets to 18, you can even notice an effect with the engine because the IP is affected by the voltage drop and it runs like it's got a mild cam lope to it but its perfectly in sync. with the voltage rising and dropping. The biggest problem though is just the headlights, when you turn them on with the truck running, it boggs down, everything dims really bad, give it some RPM and everything brightens up but it starts tach'ing out the volt gauge and drops all voltage @ 18v. Any help or ideas would be great guys, thanks in advance! Happy thanksgiving!

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It shouldn't hurt to try.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

with the newer style alt you should be fine, they have enough amps at idle

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I just posted about this on another board.:D

I'll add a disclaimer:o There are 2 issues that I know of. One is having to open the case and rotate the 2 halves 90* and put it back together so it will mount correctly. The other is use of a wiring adapter for a measured ohm resistance. You measure resistance and if it is 35 ohms you don't need the adaptor and if it is nothing you use the adapter. Do your own research. Don't take my suggestion as gospel.

Look into using a CS144. It has a high idle output and tops out at 140 amps. They are plentiful & cheap.

Google CS144 Alternator and I'm sure you'll come across the info I read.:bow:

5. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

thanks for the input everyone, looks like i'm gonna be goin to the junk yard to find one of them CS144 alternators and start playin' around with it. i'll most likely update this thread with my own personal results. thanks again.

6. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

The alternators are the same for the gas and diesel.