Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Club or not to Club......Help me run a little study....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Sep 23, 2004.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I've been having a little debate with some of my other wheeling community folks. I'll delve into the reason for the questions a little later. And just for the record, belonging to a bulletin board service doesn't count ( no offense Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) It has to be a charter type organization.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't know what others think about this, but as far as I'm concerned, this club is a world wide charter club.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have a college car club... A local truck group/club, a State club and CK5 which is definatly world wide /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Cardinal Cars
    HoosierK5
    Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association
    Colorado K5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i would have to say this is a club, with blazer bash and the other organized events, i would say this is a club
    not to mention all the parts sales, giveaways ,and fellow members helping eachother out in person(thanks hi pinion and all the others!!) i vote this is a club /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't belong to a meet every first Wednesday of the month type club but the boys I've met here on CK5 are the only ones I wheel with. We meet just about every day in the Rocky Mountain Forum so I don't know. I spose we could form a formal, formal type club but why when we can arrange stuff and what not right here?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't belong to a club and I never will.

#1, I'm not going to pay people to go 4 wheeling with me
    #2, The politics involved in a 4wd club and what goes on with your money really pisses me off
    #3, the best people I've ever met in this sport are right here on CK5.

Anyone wants to go four wheeling with me is welcome to come on one of my trail runs or invite me and I'll come on yours if I can make it. I LOVE this sport, but I feel that clubs ruin it.

7. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Interesting arguments for CK5 being a club.

Also I'd like to hear views on both sides of the coin. We already have a post about why someone doesn't want to belong to a club. Any rebuttals?

Also, I'd like to see some cheap pops too. Post up what club (name) and location that your club is based in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm part of a local 4x4 club here in Arkansas.

Little Rock Crawlers

I joined because its a good group of people. Fun to be around, great tech with everyone's vehicles. There are several different types, not all Chevy's or Heeps. Plus, there are several places around town that offer the club discounts, which is something we are working out right now. On top of it all, someone is always up to go wheeling whenever. In my opinion, the money was well spent, and it wasn't even that much.

Kris

9. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

#2, The politics involved in a 4wd club and what goes on with your money really pisses me off

[/ QUOTE ]

Although not a club per se, you already do. On the CK5 home page is the UNITED decal which is an organization of clubs and Assocations throughout the world. Your money goes here! I know what you mean and I agree with you about all the political BS that goes on when you start having a Board of Directors (pres. vice pres., sec..ect) in a club. But nothing is wrong with getting together with like minded people and supporting your sport.

Without United and other like associations to provide a voice and litagators to fight all the knuckle heads out to shut us down we would be wheelin' at places along our friends along the river or behind my house in a field. Big whoop! My $25 for CK5 and $10 to United is money well spent. -Mark

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've always just gone wheelin with my family.

I've belonged to a hot rod car club, but not a 4wd club.

I think eventually I might look into a club, but right now I work full time and take classes in the evenings. So, I really don't have the time to devote to a club. Plus I'm not sure if there are any good clubs local to me.

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Wasn't being in a club required in the RTC? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Wasn't being in a club required in the RTC? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Me and my friends from Ottawa have our own club. There are no politics to join, everyone is welcome, and the only requirement is that you have to own a truck. There is no president, no money exchanges hands, etc.

I wouldn't call it a club, but more of a group of friends that go four wheeling. When I think 4x4 club, I think dues, bylaws, and meetings, all of which we don't have, and would never have.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although not a club per se, you already do. On the CK5 home page is the UNITED decal which is an organization of clubs and Assocations throughout the world. Your money goes here! I know what you mean and I agree with you about all the political BS that goes on when you start having a Board of Directors (pres. vice pres., sec..ect) in a club. But nothing is wrong with getting together with like minded people and supporting your sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm glad to get with like-minded people and get out on the trail because I really do love this sport. Thats's what we do locally. No politics, just trucks and fourwheeling (and beer later).

14. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The money we change for dues is only for BBQ's and such.
    Sole purpose of our club is to have like minded people to go wheeling with.
    Maybe you don't have trail closure issues in your area but we do and if people wen't organized and united in fighting the issues our area the trail would be closed.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone wants to go four wheeling with me is welcome to come on one of my trail runs or invite me and I'll come on yours if I can make it. I LOVE this sport, but I feel that clubs ruin it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to argue with you as to whether people should join a club or not, but I would like to share my views which are quite the opposite. While I'm sure there are clubs out there with the issues you described, ours definitely does not have these issues.

I originally joined the club (www.ohio4x4.com) while looking for people and places to go fourwheeling. The club averages about 50 memberships (1 membership includes the entire family) and I spent two years as the elected president. Six years later I'm still a member even though I know where all of the trails are and can easily find a group to go with. Speaking of the group, almost all of the people I go on non-club rides with are also members of the club and I would consider them my friends........so there is no "paying people" here.

We do have monthly meetings but most people actually enjoy going to them. The discussions usually involve making plans for future trailrides and picnics. Afterwards we check out the other rigs and maybe play on the RTI ramp.

For money, all of it goes back to the members for picnics, prizes/raffles, donations for charities, and club supplies like first aid kits, chainsaw, etc...

We have spent numerous hours working with the county engineers, township trustees, sheriff, and landowners to map and verify which trails are legal and clearing and cleaning them. We are also active in the Ohio Multi-Use Trails Association which is directly involved with the state in attempting to open up public lands for off-road use (there is currently no state owned land open to anything but quads and bikes).

We are open to any new members as long as they act responsibly on the trails. There is everything from 1-ton hybrids to stock Samurai's as members. We do NOT welcome yahoo's that just like to get drunk and tear their vehicle and the trail up.......vehicle breakage is unavoidable, but we just don't tolerate people who break their vehicle every single trailride due to poor maintenance or just plain stupidity.

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The club I'm in is a great club to be in...CK5...
    but the local club I'm in...doesn't have all the BS....
    some clubs have...

They're a cool crowd...I hang with them...all the time.
    They also know some cool trails...
    Our club is insured also...
    We are the Host club for the Summit Racing Truck shows...and the Lisbon hill climbs.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tim..You should come out and hang with us..
    You'll have a different opinion.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

www.tiretown.org

[​IMG]

As you can see...we're pretty laid back..

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't get me wrong, all clubs don't have the political problem.

However, it seems that the longer a club evolves, the more so it shys that way, until eventually people get fed up with the political bullshit and quit and form their own club.

That's been what I've seen from talking to members of the local clubs.

CK5 is the best club around if you ask me. No politics, just pay your $25 a year and it's the best group of guys I've ever found to go wheelin' with.

Jerry,

I'd love to make a run out to your area. Plan on me being there in the spring. Plan a big run with lots of trucks and shoot me a PM or post up in the midwest forum...I'll be there.

18. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in a club and I pay dues. The club Im in has a president, vice, board of directors (IM one of them), a land use chairman etc... Our money goes towards our x-mas party of course then also donations to the UFWDA, blue ribbon coalition, forest service, toys for tots etc. None of which do I think is a waste of money. The rest of our money goes towards Door prizes and renting an entire camp ground for the Dakota Territory Challenge (great event by the way).And also it is the "political" aspects of the clubs that play a very major part of keeping trails open to ORVs.

19. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

I belong to poorboy offroad. We are just a bunch of freinds, family, and people I met on my website. There is no President or dues. We are a small group and that is why we dont need officers and the such. If someone wants to donate toward the website thats fine if not I have been taking care of it myself. I guess thats why I havent paid for a membership here or the other 4x4 sites I visit. Can't afford to do it all. I enjoy reading the forums and keeping in contact here. If this club required mandatory meetings and runs then it probly wouldn't interest as many as it does. Who really cares if its a club or group as long as everyone enjoys it. I dont think I really answered your question???
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    And also it is the "political" aspects of the clubs that play a very major part of keeping trails open to ORVs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not one of those people that thinks that public land is going to be open to ORVs when I am old enough to have my own children that 'wheel. By then it will be all gone.

That's ok though, because private off road parks are opening up all over the country. There's one three miles from my house now that once the trails open up and they allow fullsizes, will be the next badlands.