Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Club Problem ...help please!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Jul 4, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

OK, I am President of our local 4wd club, and I need some advice from someone who has possibly been thru this before. We have been planning a 4wd fun day type event for months now, it was to take place at a gravel pit that we have wheeled to and in for years. The basic events were going to be a trials type obstacle course with poles and markers that you cant knock over. No racing, no hill climbs etc. This being a club event, we wanted to impress the local media as well as the gravel contractor company with our clubs morals and ask them for permission to be in there. The pit is never closed off, and there are always quads or trucks in there all the time, but we wanted to do the right thing and get proper permission. When the original phone call was made a month ago, we were told that there would be no problem, as long as we respected the equipment that is there, and avoided the active work areas, and they also requested a waiver stating that the company wouldnt be liable for anything happening. No problem. I called them back today to confirm things for this Saturdays event, and was told that upon further thought, they would rather us not be in there at all. Plans are all in place, and things are ready to go, and now they decide against it. He told me that there is too much liability involved, and besides that, he doesnt like the fact that the dirt piles are being spread around by the quads and trucks, so he doesnt want us there. Now if we ever try to go there like we used to, we will automatically get the bad name cause they know who we are. If we go and hold our event anyways, and they find out we were there, we get the bad rep. If we dont go there, and someone else does, we get the bad rep. Is there any way to come out of this with a good rep? A letter to the editor of the local paper? A letter to the gravel company itself?
    Any help or advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

IMO I would write a letter to the gravel company thanking them for considering letting the club go there and assure them that any and all activity by 4x4's will be stopped by your club members. That way if they do see/catch anyone out there they wont automatically think it was your club.

As far as what to do now, drop back and punt. Try to find another place to go. Was the media contacted about the club run?? If they were, contact them and tell them what happened and that you'll need to honor the wishes of the property owner and find a new location, if possible. This way the club ( and 4 wheelers in general come out looking good ) Then just stay out.

Almost makes ya sorry you "did the right thing" HUH?

PUREINSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under![​IMG]I no longer have a photo album. thanx ZING![​IMG]

3. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

First, offer to get your own liability insurance. Second, honor the first rule of having a party; "Invite the neighbors" Invite the gravel company owner or persons in charge to the event. Offer free food ect. Encourage them to bring their 4x4 and family.

Once the owners are comfortable with you and your club, you will still have to deal with all of the others who use the pit without permission.

I went through the same thing with horse trail rides. We finally got permission to ride on the property, and then some one started camping there and having camp fires (big don't in Oregon in the late summer!). We got kicked out.

Good Luck!
    Kent

1989 K5

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

True enough, thanks for the replies. It definately makes someone think twice about asking for permission for anything... we could have just went out and done the event and no one would have known. Now we are screwed. The insurance question was raised but there is no way we can afford that, we are only 20 members. I think there will be a letter to the company explaining our reasons for asking, and explaining the events we had planned. The media wasnt notified yet, but they will definately hear about it.
    I like the idea of assuring them that any 4x4 activity wont be members of our club, and hopefully he will put 2 and 2 together and realize that we are trying to be the good guys here. He also assumed that it sounded like a party was planned there and with the rep of wheelers around here, I understand his assumption. I guess a diplomatic but firm letter to the company is the way to go.

Any other input is welcome. Thanks guys.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mike, try getting in contact with United http://. http://www.ufwda.org/2K/ I don't know if they are active north of the border, but it is a place to start. You might also wat to try some of the bigger 4WD orgs like SFWDA & Cal4WD.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I have helped with several large events for Southern four wheel Drive association. www.sfwda.org They have an insurance rider they keep for events like Dixie run and quarterly meetings. If your club is part of the regional association for your area they may be able to call it one of their events and cover it under their rider if they have one. Would take renamingit and getting the association to be part of it but might solve your insurance woes.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't forget to offer and deliver a complete clean-up and repair of the land after the event. If you play that card well, he may want you back for repair and influence for keeping that area under control.

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.