Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clunk from rear area

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Oct 31, 2001.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Hi gang, I have a clunk coming from the back of my 89 just as I come to a full stop. Brake, then come to full stop, followed immediately by CLUNK.

Anybody know what I'm looking at?

Thanks,

John

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Does it do it when you start back up and does it feel like the whole rear housing is sliding forward and back? mine does that. So if you figure it out before me let me know what you find.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Is your truck lifted, with blocks? Mine used to do that with my block-lifted rear end - in fact, three of my K5's did that..............doesn't anymore with a 4" rear lift spring. Might also be the u-joints, or the rear brakes not releasing.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

bee32... mine does this and it is due to the blocks. It feels like the rear slides and shifts a bit...

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

I had a clunk coming from the rear of my 87 at one point. Tightened up the u-bolts and appeared to go away. May want to give that a try.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It sounds like the stereo isn't big enough? It sounds like hanging brakes to me. Can you feel it happen or just hear it?

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

7. TwoCrowsDesign

LOL, you're right the stereo isn't big enough!

Brakes are a good place to check, thanks. I'll let you folks know what I discover. I have since found that it only happens with hard-ish braking, not when I come to a slow stop.

John

John

8. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem, have a close look at your (rear) front spring eye bushes....mine were flogged out and the diff assembly was able to shift enough to be noticed moving when coming to a stop. I hope its not that as its not a real fun job. Oh yeah don't go for poly ones as they're softer than the standard stuff and wear much quicker.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by AussieK5 on 11/01/01 02:43 AM.</FONT></P>

9. TwoCrowsDesign

Thanks for the input. I'll be doing a shackle flip in the not too distant future, so I'll probably just freshen up the bushings all around anyway.

Thanks again

John