Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clunk in D only..but not over D

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 27, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok when im in regular D..(not overdrive) when i stop i get this clunk right befor i come to a full stop..but when its in overdrive...it doesnt do it!..any ideas on that!? thanx..

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm no tranny expert, but it sounds like the converter is saying goodbye /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My tranny (700R) started doing the same thing this past winter. The clunking got worse over a few weeks. I eyeballed the flexplate first, checked the driveshafts, spring mounts - nothing found. Finally the tranny got scary noisey, I was afraid of being stranded. But would quiet down when the torque converter was in Lock-up. A SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess) would surmise the converter clutch was realigning the stator when it engaged. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im a little lost hear..what exactly is it when its in lock up?

4. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah mine has been doing that for the last 6 months (since I bought the truck) No change, hasn't gotten better or worse. Let me know if anyone figures it out. Later
    -fLeXy K20

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

700R4's troque converters lock up at certain times (spinning a certain number of rpms etc... I dont really remember) They do this so you get better gas mileage etc, because they are not constantly slipping. Later
    -fLeXy K20

6. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Someone correct me when I'm wrong, but on 700r4's I think the D position runs a little higher pressure resulting in firmer shifts. This may explain the clunk. I've had two 700r4's that both did the same thing. Lasted for years with no change. Never did it to the extent in Overdrive that they did in drive. I've had both rebuilt lately. One was built stock except for heavy duty steeles and clutches. It also had a shift kit in it. It drove just a little harsh in OD, but really slammed into and out of gear in D. The one that's in my current k5 has the same clutches, steels, etc, but it is an 89 set up (in an 84 blazer). It has more updated pumps, servo's, etc... and you can't tell a whole lot of difference between D and OD. The newer pump is supposed to run more even pressure in all gears at all speeds.
    I've always figured that clunk was your 2 to 1 shift.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm i see...well i guess its nothing i should worry bout then really..besides if it dies in goes the 465 anyway.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could it not just be the tranny going into first gear? Who knows, a little backlash from the rear could cause it as the stress is taken off of it from the downshifting.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

it does it as its down shifting into 1st i think..

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if you're running 10 bolts, my first guess would be a pinion bearing. second would be a worn out universal. they either work or they don't, or at least that's how it is for me.

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Mine does that too, some say its the slip yoke binding up and you need to grease it. Ive come to be used to it now, I hasnt gotten worse over the past year. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine does that too, some say its the slip yoke binding up and you need to grease it. Ive come to be used to it now, I hasnt gotten worse over the past year. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll 2nd that. When I had a 700R4 in my big truck, it used to clunk all the time. I always thought it was the slip yoke.