Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Clunk" noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMC4by4, May 10, 2000.

1. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

\"Clunk\" noise

I have an 89 Jimmy with a 350, auto, and the 3.73 corporate 10 bolts. I've had both of the rear U-joints replaced and a new front driveshaft made and installed. All engine/tranny mounts are new. My problem is that I have a sort of "clunk" sound that happens between the 1-2 shift while accelerating. It's not really loud, but I can feel it lightly in the steering wheel and seat and it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the truck. Any ideas about what it could be would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Clunk\" noise

Well... I get the same kind of noise but my truck is breaking my rear u-joint I have to angle my rear differential to get rid of the problem but I get the noise only when the u-joint is about to breake, so I know right away that I have to replace it, until I have money to fix my differential, but my noise is kind of a squeaky noise not clunck so it might be a different problem, anyway I dont want to confuse you any more than you already are good luck buddy.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You should also check your tranny support bracket and the rubber that supports the tranny itself. I just got rid of a similar knock by tightening the bracket up.

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Yep...Canmore is right, look at all your mounts, motor and tranny....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've had the truck for almost a year and I haven't had to get under it for anything other than the initial drivetrain repairs and regular oil changes. Love this truck!!

-Rick