Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clunk pop etc etc...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, May 23, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I have a 1989 K5 4x4 stock blazer (auto trans). Sometimes I get a popping noise from the rear axle after the truck has been driven around town for a while. This does not happen all of the time. It only pops when the truck takes off from a standing start. I replaced the U-Joints so that's not it. It only makes the popping noise from a standing start and goes away after a ten to fifteen foot roll. I do not feel any physical slipping from the rear, just the popping noise. Again this does not happen all of the time. This truck has an original 75,000 miles on the clock. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks....

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Could it possibly have a locker in the rear?If so that will make some noise.My second thought would be the gears etc.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

3. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Couldn't hurt to pull off the diff cover and take a look around ... at least you would get a fluid change out of it.

79Jimmy

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Look a page or two back of the old posts, there was another post that started with "clunk" or something like that. Lots of opinions on it, from u-joints to slip yokes to lift blocks causing axle wrap, etc. All of my 5 K-5's that I have had over the past 12 years did it at certain times.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Could be a pinion bearing on it's way to dying. My symphony of popping, clunking, and thunking was diagnosed as bad u-joints and bad pinion bearing. When I get the bearing fixed, it'll be a good excuse to get a locker!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice. You are the man!

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

May check your leave pack, make sure they're centered on the pins and all the clips/u-bolts are around the leafs and are tight.

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=green>May the dirt rise to meet you and the wind be at your back always</font color=green>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]