Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clunk when shifting gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddNutz, Sep 8, 2004.

1. MuddNutz

MuddNutz Registered Member

I am looking at buying a k20 here locally and when we went to test drive it, I noticed it seemed to clunk pretty bad when you shift from park to drive or reverse to drive, pretty much all the gears. It has a rebulit 350 and th400 in the last 12k miles. Any ideas, is this a big deal? Also what is the proper name of the cover that covers the torgue converter and flywheel, it is missing is that a problem?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it could be the ujoints. one of my friends truck does that and he says its the spider gears /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i run my truck with outthat dust shield, only problem i have found is mud gets in there easier and kills the starter.

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe you are referring to the inspection plate, as far as it being a big deal I have not run one in ohh about 7 years but I have a SM465 and have found nothing wrong with that now Im sure someone will say different but just telling you I've gotten away with out mine for sometime. I noticed a similiar noise in mine while I was manually shifting the gear while operating the vehicle and it came to be that my body mounts were sooo shot that when I shifted the body would clunk against the frame. Just an idea for you to look into. Good Luck...

4. MuddNutz

MuddNutz Registered Member

Anyones else got any ideas. The truck kinda jerks at the same time so I don't think its u joints

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like u joints or excessive backlash to me.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

check your u-joints. make sure when you check them you block the tires and have the tranny in neutral so the driveline is not bound up