Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clunk???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83PJW, Sep 6, 2002.

1. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

i have a clunking sound in my truck when i take off or put it in reverse and i always thought it was my detriot. well read a post (fisher 1468 slip yoke leak) and an individual (cant remember his name) said that it could be the splines banging against one another after breaking hard. not that im second guessing anyone but could this really be my problem and how much do i have to worry about it?

2. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

the clunking you are hearing may just be the slak in your tx-case.... most cases haqve some slack in them and will cause a clunking sound.. also check your u-joints... if they aer good, you may have too much play in your axle gears... you say you have a detroit??? did you have to remove the case to install it??? if so did you reuse the same gears??? and also, are you sure they are set up right- ie- do they whine or make noise??? all things to consider but i would have the gear pattern checked if your u-joints and tx-case check out to be ok.... hope this helps!!!

3. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Heres a simple "free" check...
    From what you described I had the same sound when I first bought my rig. Turned out my rear leaf spring U-bolts were loose. This cause the rear to rotate when I put it into gear. If i put it into drive the rear axle would torque one direction making a clunking noise from the slop. Of coarse it would torque the other direction when I put it into reverse.

You get the idea. Just try tightening you U-bolt nuts

4. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

Check your rear axle pinion, my truck does the same, put it in gear, clunk, come to a stop, clunk. It also whines really loudly when I let off my gas pedal on the freeway(4.11s). A Sacramento 4 wheel drive shop told me it was the rear pinion, and some new bearings and such should fix it. Not too big of a deal, shouldn't hurt too bad, but not great.