Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

clunking in the drive shaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Apr 1, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

there is a clunk in my driveshaft i think, when i come to a stop it clunks and if i hit the gas hard it clunks..sounds like something is slippin...please help, i asked this awhile back, but it was as bad,now it sounds worse...?? help!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

A while back I remember a guy had the same problem and he solved it by lubing the slip yoke shaft, seems like it can bind and create this type of problem. I suppose you already checked your u-joints.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i'll check it out, thanx..will let u know

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was having the same issue when the one part of my u joint was busted and the needle bearings fell out. Then it wore away the u joint and it was moving aroudn so much it clunked big time.

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem w/my Blazer. Turns out that the nuts on the U-bolts that hold the leaf springs were lose and needed to be torqued down. Check that also.

Dan...

6. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

WOW im happy..well kinda sad too.. but i was doing my rear brakes last nite and wanted to find that damn clunk..so i took of the driveshaft and filled it full of grease n stuff, put it back on..it doesnt clunk, BUT the rear u-joint is loose, thats y it is raddling (spellin) so i went to auto zone and bought one, gonna put it in tonite...are they hard to put them in?? never done it before.!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

It shouldn't be too hard, take off the clips and use a socket to drive it out. Be carefull that the little pins inside don't fall out when you take the new one apart to slide it in.

8. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Ummm....you might be careful with your U-joints. On my 83, chevy decided to inject plastic into them to keep them in place rather than the usual spring clips. If that's the case, a socket and hammer ain't gonna cut it. You can either melt the plastic out with a blowtorch (never tried this), or what i did, was use a hydraulic press to get em out (took 3.5 tons of pressure, and made the loudest noise I've ever heard when they let go). Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif