Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Clunking Noise in 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

When my hubs are locked in, the front end makes a clunking noise kinda like something is bumping against something. What ya reckon that noise is? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. st08x

st08x Registered Member

is it when u hit ruts or something cause mine kind of clangs but i think its just my tires or suspension or something

3. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Naw, it does it when you give it gas. The faster ya get, the more it clunks. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. st08x

st08x Registered Member

uh...thats not normal, it could be bad hubs

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea mine mad alot of clunking noises, in 4wd, in the front, so i didnt really pay attention to it, thought it was normal, then it started makeing a nasty grateing noise, i heard a new dodge making this sound, so i didnt pay much attention to it, then it started making a real bad clickin noise, and it got real bad when i went into a mud hole and almost got stuck /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, and im glad the u-joint didnt let go then, then a week later i go to my uncles house we get under my truck i show him my front wheel joints, hejust looks at them and said "uh oh" "do you see that seal missing, there is no needle bearings in there" all i did was /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, and then i didnt use the 4x4 for a while, and didnt off-road, lol. i fixed em one by one 2 hours on each side about, did one the 1st weekend, did the 2nd on the 2nd weekend, anyway hope this helps.

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

****.... know i gotta get some hubs. Anybody got some 4wd hubs for sale? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Check the u-joints in the front axle at each wheel. If the hubs are locked in (or automatics stuck in the locked postion), and a cap is loose, the yoke can slide back and forth, making a clunking sound. One more thing to check.