Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cluster swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaneW, Jan 29, 2003.

1. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

I'm thinking of doing a cluster swap. I have a the kind with the large speedo and gas. I'm gonna buy one with a larger spedo and tach. I'm a newbie and don't know how to hook up a tach. Will the wires I need already be in place or will I have to pull the wires from another truck. As you can see I don't know what I'm doin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Alright, I did mine along time ago, and since then have installed an MSD ignition which changes everything. As far as I can remember, you need a 'hot' wire and a ground wire. And you need a wire coming off the distributor cap. On mine(HEI) it is one of the ports in the back of the cap(single prong). Then you will probably need a wire that connects to the lights in your cab so the tach lights will turn on when all the others do. All the wires should be there except the one off the dist. Pick something up at an automotive store for that. As I said, it's been a long time, but I hope this helped a little. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I did mine as part of a wiring swap. I pulled the wiring out of an 80, but for the tach there were 3 wires, ignition hot, ground and tach. The lighting is handled by the circuit board in the cluster the same as on the fuel gauge.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

As others say, it should be easy.

Now, I lucked out and got a '74 tach cluster for my '74 truck, so it was a direct drop-in. The tach had to be manually wire (ignition power, ground, and the signal from the ... hmm, negative? side of the coil) but that was eeeeeasy. It's just like wiring a car stereo.

If you have a tach cluster from a considerably different year than you truck, you may be in for some fun -- I know the oil pressure gauges, for instance, went from mechanical in the 70's to electrical by the late 80's. Come to think, the speedo was mechanical on my '74 and is electronic on my '90 Burb.

Point being, for your '76 you'd want to stick with a fairly close tach cluster -- and good luck in finding one that won't break you /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HTH.

-- A

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If your changing years, or styles you'll have to pop out the pins and trace the printed circuits and put the pins back in the black plastic holder based on your new cluster.
    The only way you wouldn't have to swap the pins is if you got a same year cluster w/Tach to swap inplace of a non-tach w/gauges.
    If you go from no gauges to gauges, pin swap, no gauges to gauges w/tach, pin swap, gauges to gauges w/tach from different year, pin swap....
    Watch for the number of "tell tale" indicators. Older ones only have 1,or none and the 91's have four, just beware, if you want to retain all the indicators (Brake/4wd/SES, etc) get one with the same number of tell tale indicator slots.
    It's not that bad, just takes a little patience.

BlazerMan

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

76 older wasmechanical and 77-up electrical i believe, same year as power doors introduction

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Dammit, now I gotta go look. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My '77 Chalet looks suspiciously like a mechanical speedo -- I sorta figgered the electric speedo wouldn't have happened until the TBI stuff in '87, or at least the computer controller carbs. Evil concept, that.

-- A

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Pulled this straight off the CK5 specifications page.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A new electronic speedometer was also introduced for 1990, along with non-asbestos brake linings

[/ QUOTE ]

I know my 90 is electronic